LED reverse lights. Thoughts ?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

LED reverse lights. Thoughts ?

Post by candymancan »

What are your guys thughts on LED reverse lights. Meaning led pods. With my windows tinted, at night when i back up I cannot see anything. Its black and it makes it hard to backup. Even prior it was like this. I already have 4 led pods on my new roof rack pointing to the sides and back. But thats more for camping when i finally go camping.

But to help me see when i backup, I was thinking of getting some pods. And wiring a power wire and relay back there spliced into the reverse light wiring. This way when i hit reverse it activates the relay and turns on the light pods.

Thoughts ? I would mount them to the bumper. Drill a hole and bolt em in. Was thinking of getting a low profile one like this. But maybe a slimmer lower profile one if i can find one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07KB56Q ... asin_title
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Renodemona

Re: LED reverse lights. Thoughts ?

Post by Renodemona »

That will probably work. I have the amazon brand amber LEDs for dust lights on the back of my rack.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Artif

Post by Artif »

They'll certainly work but you might blind any oncoming traffic. I used some small leds from amazon that work fine came in a pack of ten
79 J20 258 4speed
Right hand drive built for the UK, where it and I live.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

what traffic will there be when im backing up in the parking lot ? Im using them for reverse lights not lights in front. Here is what i ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TK ... UTF8&psc=1

I hope they arent too bright, if they are i might paint some of the lenses to block some light, or just use 1 instead of 2. Ill report back when i finish wiring them up.

Lti57

Post by Lti57 »

Those are bright
Have some on my ATV
One would work exactly how you plan to reverse triggers the relay bringing 12v to the lamp
Good luck and post pics when done I will probably run a dedicated 12 v line from my battery source fused on back to the light with relay in the Ass end of the Waggy
Directly above the center of the Earth 🌍
2017 Chevy Silverado DD
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1987 BMW E30 325i convertible
1981 Jeep Wagoneer. 360 ,TF727 , NP208

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

They arent THAT bright they are perfect in my opinion, i installed em a couple days ago, i mounted them below the bumper where the bump stop are, they are pointing angled at the pavement vs out in the open. Unfortunatly it still didnt help me see out the tinted rear window at night, someone can stand 3 feet behind me and i cant see them.. So i got myself a wireless back up camera.. and that camera in conjunction with the lights is perfect.

Fyi those led lights use less than 3w of power. All these LED's are very low in power usage, i hate them advertising 30000 watts but they instead use 3 lol. I have both on a 5 amp fuse LOL and it hasnt blown.. Checked with a multimeter, and like i thought they use about 3 watts. Its like those light pods on amazon, advertise 120 watts, but they use only 9 watts each, I have 4 of those 3 row so called 120 watt light pods, and they are on a single 5 amp fuse, just shows you they are lying.. .. Those 300-400 watt light bars everyone installs, use around 50-60 watts tops. Its not hard to check with a multimeter using the 10amp setting to see that everyone is lying about wattage usage on LEDs. They are just saying the lights equal that much wattage to halogens

I have all my lights run on dedicated wiring, and fuses and relays. See my pics of the relay/fuse box, power distribution box, and the ground box. I have this because i have 5 6.25 round halogen lights on top, and 2 on the bumper, and 4 LED light pods on the corners of my roof basket. The switch panel in the cabin also has digital volt meter, and plugs for car chargers, and that needed fused, and so forth. Got tired of running 10 inline fuses and 50 connectors on my battery terminals and relays just laying around hah.

I could aim the lights up a little more which i probably will, but i kinda like them pointed more down at the road so they arent in people eyes. The back up camera is much better looking in person, phones for some reason cant get good pics of lcd screens, but yea you get the idea.

I sware that reverse light on the passenger side is finicky it always stops working, yet the bulb is fine and new.. wiggle the bulb itself and it works again.. Not sure what the deal is