Smog pump delete... sort of.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Smog pump delete... sort of.

Post by 84GWagoneer »

I'm attaching the original thread for my post at JeepForum so i don't have to type it all out again.

84 GW with a 360. Had a smog pump system stock. The guy i bought it from did a horrible, ugly and crude delete of the system when he had it. All lines and hosing had been connected and the metal lines coming from the motor had been crimped individually between each actual line. and i mean, very crudley.

Basically just getting some info from anyone who has done a smog pump delete on their rig. How, why, what did you do parts wise? I do not mind getting new parts to accommodate the delete as we are doing a full tear down and rebuild/restoration. Also wanting to hear from some people who have their smog pumps still working. First one of our projects that has a smog pump, so would love a little feedback. Let me know what you all think/know.

Here is the original thread:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/que ... st41249349

sirrus
Vendor

Re: Smog pump delete... sort of.

Post by sirrus »

I removed my pump before putting EFI on, as it would throw off O2 sensor reading and the pump started to rattle anyway.

Removed the pump itself and skinny air manifold that are bolted to exhaust manifolds. Be careful with the banjo bolts there, they tend to break - I had broken 2 on the pass side and had to get a new exhaust manifold.

Plug the air holes (BJs sells a plug kit for V8, but you can probably use some NPT plugs or bolts, I’m not sure what thread size though).

Remove/plug vacuum lines that went to diverter valve and either cut/pinch/weld air tube on the cat or just get a modern cat without air tube.

That should be it, I might have more details/pictures in my build thread - check the link in my sig
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

Thank you friend! Your build thread is beyond fantastic. Everything is very professional and eye catching in a way that would please manufacturers. Excellent work and a great resource for when we start on our harnesses. We are tearing the motor out and down next summer and practically removing everything under the hood for either replacement, rebuild or just a very needed cleaning. I will definitely refer to your thread when i have questions because your pictures and explanations are so thorough. Keep up the good work and maybe someday we can meet up at a Jeeping event and admire the rigs!

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Thanks! I can't wait to drive it again and finally get to some Jeep (or just FSJ) meetup.

Good luck with your restoration!
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

77Chief77

Post by 77Chief77 »

Just fyi, the BJ's plug kit fit loose on my 360 manifolds. There is a work around that involves JB weld on the plugs but I didnt want to do that.

I ended up cutting 9/16 - 18 Fine bolts with a cutoff wheel to make them short and they worked great. I also chased the threads on the exhaust manifold holes with a thread restorer. The thread restorer was a life saver. I can screw the bolts all the way down by hand easily after chasing them and thats on 40 plus year old exhaust manifolds. I should have invested in one of these kits years ago.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER972? ... put=thread
1977 Chief, Wide Track, 360, TH400, QT

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

awesome! I will definitely note that. We are most likely going to remove the manifolds next year for the rebuild and replace with a header kit, but up until then, I want to make sure everything is checked off the list before we go cruising.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I just got myself a plunbers plug from lows and siliconed it on the top of the manifold tubes where they all meet and the rubber tube used to go over. Works fine. I didnt wanna mess with unbolting each one. My drivers side was already broken off by a previous owner and they welded shut each tube by the bolts.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

Yeah, i probably won't mess with it too much if they start shattering on me. We're doing headers later but i was kind of curious for right now because we're having some running issues and i'm trying to track down any kind of little things that it could be. Once we run the headers, that really should be the only piece left of that system. Cat was already deleted because it didn't have emissions in the county i got it from. Just making sure there is no other weird little tid bits handing around once we get those out!

77Chief77

Post by 77Chief77 »

I soaked those air tube fasteners in PB blaster for a week straight. They looked worse than they really were. I took my time getting them out. You'll sense when you're pushing the limits on them.

I removed them cold but I'm willing to bet they would have come out A LOT easier if I'd ran the jeep first and warmed up the bolts.

77Chief77

Post by 77Chief77 »

You see how rough they look on the outside but just underneath that surface rust, there’s lots of good metal. The bolt body and threads look really good. The new bolt is there for reference. I didn’t think they were going to budge by the look of them originally. I’m glad I tried though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

Oh wow, those did come off clean. Luckily i'm down in Tennessee and we're hitting warm weather season, so everything has been working in our favor. (for both the jeep and our dually) we haven't had much trouble getting anything heated up to work in our favor. which, for sure helps. I wish that the guy would of tried to remove the pipes instead of crimping them like he did. Because i would of kept the smog system in place if hbe wouldn't have done that. But since it's already destroyed theres no saving it. That's the sad part because i wanted to stay pretty original but now im gonna cut my losses and just go down the header route. But if the hardware isn't too beat up (bolts and what pipe is left) hopefully i can send it to someone who can use it. Don't want to just trash it. The smog pump needs to be cleaned but it's not frozen and from what i know it worked as little as the year before last.