1978 WAGONEER WIPER ISSUE

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jkcondrey

1978 WAGONEER WIPER ISSUE

Post by jkcondrey »

I did search through some wiper topics but did not find a good solution for my problem. Maybe someone else has already figured this out. 1978 wagoneer. It has the three tab motor. The stock switch was missing when acquired. I have been unable to locate a replacement for the year. I did buy a cj model, just because it said it had 2 speed, park and push to activate the washer. The back of the switch is labeled as follows: B, P, L, H. The motor tab connections are not labeled, but looking directly at the motor on firewall, it has one tab on the left kinda seperated from the other two which are relatively side by side. There is a broken connector that is under one of the motors bolts on top of the case(looks like maybe was grounded to firewall with a wire?) I tried running a couple different configurations of wiring to get any motion from the motor, but only blew a couple fuses. Does anyone know of a correct switch that will work with the 78 motor or how to go about getting the wiring correct with the CJ switch?

Thanks for any help or insight. This is the only thing left for road worthiness.

tgreese

Re: 1978 WAGONEER WIPER ISSUE

Post by tgreese »

I can't figure this out for you right now ... maybe later.

If I were to make an effort, I would start by comparing the wiring diagrams for the 1978 Wagoneer and the 1978 CJ. The TSM for 1978 is available on the Tom Collins site https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html contains the wiring diagrams and chapters that explain how the wiper motors work. The two speed motor has two windings that are either used together (in shunt) or the high speed winding only.

Although the '78 manual is there, the '79 is much easier to use and should be the same in this area. Assuming you don't have intermittent wipers, they were optional in 1979 and you can skip over the part that describes them. Start at page 3T-4.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

Thanks for the help. I have looked over those 78 diagrams and just cant seem to make it work for the switch that i have available. Now as far as the original wiring is concerned, I still have most of those connectors, but there were so many splices in it and the old switch was missing. I think the biggest issue is getting a switch that is configured to that motor. I will look through the 79 and see if something pops out at me.

itselliott

Post by itselliott »

Im pretty sure I have the switch...250 miles from me at the moment...I converted the 3 tab motor to work with the steering column wiper one by adding a diode in line...somewhere ...I have the diagram...if you can wait ...PM me