Rear Window Motor Switch Problems

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
altayd9

Rear Window Motor Switch Problems

Post by altayd9 »

After testing the rear window on my '85 Grand Wagoneer project, I come back to it with a dead battery and when I charged the battery the rear window motor made a buzzing sound. Turns out even though the keyhole was in the neutral position the switch got stuck and stayed on. The window doesn't move anymore and I hear no noise when turning the key so I think it might have burned itself out. I haven't done much looking at it after that but I'm probably going to replace it. Is there anything I can do with the switch to prevent this from happening again?
'85 Grand Wagoneer and '96 LS400

SJTD

Re: Rear Window Motor Switch Problems

Post by SJTD »

Unplug the motor and put the juice directly to verify the motor failed rather than the switch.

These things have a sketchy wiring design. I would, and did, rewire it with relays.

If you don't want to do that at least lube the switch. Even disassemble and clean it. They're not designed to be opened up so you need to be careful.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.