Fuel Tank Fitment Question - 88 GW

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Greasemonkey77

Fuel Tank Fitment Question - 88 GW

Post by Greasemonkey77 »

Hello FSJN Forums!

***Forum Newb Disclaimer - I've searched but haven't been able to find the information I'm asking for. If there's a known resource or guide that I should be reading, please feel free to point me in that direction. Thanks in advance.****

I'm trying to bring a 1988 Grand Wagoneer (carb) back to life, but it's missing the fuel tank. I was able to get the mounting brackets, sending unit, etc online, but I'm having trouble locating a tank. I've learned from several other forum posts that mounting a tank in the spare tire compartment is a popular upgrade/mod, but I'd like to keep this vehicle as close to stock as possible.

I've been searching salvage yards for a fuel tank from another 88, but can't seem to find one in my area (DFW, Texas) and no salvage yard wants to ship me a fuel tank. Do any of you know if other years would use the same poly tank? If anybody has upgraded to a larger rear-mounted tank and would like to get rid of the OE tank, I'm your huckleberry! Any advice or information that might help me locate a replacement tank would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Rob :D

tgreese

Re: Fuel Tank Fitment Question - 88 GW

Post by tgreese »

You should be able to use a tank from an '80 up. Could be minor differences, but the dimensions will be the same. There is no aftermarket source for a direct replacement.

Supposedly the MTS 0022 tank can be made to work, but it's not ideal. You can call them and ask for details, if you want to go that way. http://www.mtscompany.com/J-truck.htm

Regarding the rear mounted tank, that's a popular topic. You should be able to find plenty of discussion if you search here and at IFSJA.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

gilbedw

Post by gilbedw »

Where are you located?

Topic author
Greasemonkey77

Post by Greasemonkey77 »

tgreese wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:07 am You should be able to use a tank from an '80 up. Could be minor differences, but the dimensions will be the same. There is no aftermarket source for a direct replacement.

Supposedly the MTS 0022 tank can be made to work, but it's not ideal. You can call them and ask for details, if you want to go that way. http://www.mtscompany.com/J-truck.htm
Thank you! That significantly widens my search for an OE tank.
gilbedw wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:17 am Where are you located?
I'm in Fort Worth, TX

gilbedw

Post by gilbedw »

Ok I have one out of an 85 I parted out. I am west of Ft. Worth near Bridgeport. PM me if you are interested

Topic author
Greasemonkey77

Post by Greasemonkey77 »

gilbedw wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:35 am Ok I have one out of an 85 I parted out. I am west of Ft. Worth near Bridgeport. PM me if you are interested
I am definitely interested. I think my ability to send a PM may be disabled because I'm a new member with a low post count. I'm not sure if I can receive them or not, but if you can see this, please send me one and I'll reply ASAP!

Thanks again!

gilbedw

Post by gilbedw »

PM Sent

Topic author
Greasemonkey77

Post by Greasemonkey77 »

gilbedw wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:02 amPM Sent
Apparently I can't receive PM's yet either. I'll get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks again!

gilbedw

Post by gilbedw »

If you want to connect I have a phone I do not monitor. If you want to send your phone number to it I will watch for your number.
I can send pic's then if you want
Last edited by gilbedw on Fri May 21, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Greasemonkey77

Post by Greasemonkey77 »

This forum is awesome! I posted looking for help identifying which year models had tanks that would fit my project, and within a few hours a forum member nearby offered me exactly what I needed. Thanks a ton to Gilbedw and Tgreese! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as soon as I get to the next phase of this project.