Stereo Wiring Help

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
TimGee

Stereo Wiring Help

Post by TimGee »

Hello all,

I was hoping someone here can give me some direction on swapping out the OEM stereo in my 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

I purchased a Clarion Marine M508 and some new Polk speakers. The speakers were not a problem nor was wiring the stereo for the speaker outputs but I'm having trouble figuring out the rest of the wiring.

Here's the Jeep's wiring after removing the old stereo. I figured out the big plug is the antenna and there's a connector for that:
IMG_6229.JPG
Here's the back of the new stereo. All the plugs can be ignored other than the antenna connector as I'm wiring through a pigtail:
IMG_6228.JPG
Here's the pigtail harness that connects in the lower right back of the new stereo after I wired in the speakers using the old speaker harness:
IMG_6234.JPG
Here's wiring diagram from the old stereo:
IMG_6233 copy.jpg
Here's the wiring diagram for the new stereo:
IMG_6232 copy.jpg
So, again, I've spliced together the harness that handles the speakers no problem. Can someone direct me on the wiring for the other Jeep harness that is titled "Power"? Which of the wires on Clarion should I connect to the six wires in the jeep harness?

I can wire a lot of things around the house but when it comes to car electrical it's mostly a mystery to me.

Thank you in advance.

Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. 360ci V8. Holly Fuel Injection

rainman

Re: Stereo Wiring Help

Post by rainman »

Should go like this:

Jeep Clarion
Violet w/tr Red switched power
Black Black ground
Orange w/tr Orange/white panel lamps/ dimmer (don't hold me to this one...might want to check a wiring diagram
Pink Yellow always on power (radio memory)
Blue [do not connect] park lamps
Gray Blue power antennae

When i swapped out the head unit in my 87, I replaced the jeep plugs with the Chrysler black and grey plugs found on most 80s and 90s Chryslers, much easier to wire in subsequent upgrades as the harness adapters are widely available.
1987 Grand Wagoneer
5.2L/46RH/NP229/4"/31s/4.56/ARBs
Current FSJ status: Mostly functional...mostly

Topic author
TimGee

Re: Stereo Wiring Help

Post by TimGee »

Thank you rainman. It's up and running. The stereo sounds great and the controls are pretty intuitive.
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. 360ci V8. Holly Fuel Injection