Rebuilding front end

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
TheDarkLord

Rebuilding front end

Post by TheDarkLord »

General questions arise here and there around what is worth repairing versus replacing. Steering and center link being the current item.

Would it be worth the effort to replace the ball joints the center and drag links or just buy new?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Rebuilding front end

Post by Stuka »

For the tie rod and drag links, the factory ones do not have replaceable tie rod ends. In order to replace the tie rod ends, you replace the entire drag link and tie rod.

For ball joints, if they are worn, they most definitely should be replaced. As their failure results in your entire wheel and hub assembly falling off.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

For ball joints if you have a dana 44 id recomend getting dana spicer joints. Moog and so forth seems to have sh!t quality based on numerous sources on google. I would just get the oem ones.

I recently did both oassenger side ones. Wasnt too difficult. I replaced the u joiint on the axle shaft as well as the shaft seals for the spindle bearing.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
TheDarkLord

Post by TheDarkLord »

Thanks for the clarification. After 47 years I figure it's not a bad idea to replace.

Topic author
TheDarkLord

Post by TheDarkLord »

Stuka wrote:For the tie rod and drag links, the factory ones do not have replaceable tie rod ends. In order to replace the tie rod ends, you replace the entire drag link and tie rod.

For ball joints, if they are worn, they most definitely should be replaced. As their failure results in your entire wheel and hub assembly falling off.
Thanks for the clarification! That's what I had assumed but you know what they say happens there.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

TheDarkLord wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:11 pm
Stuka wrote:For the tie rod and drag links, the factory ones do not have replaceable tie rod ends. In order to replace the tie rod ends, you replace the entire drag link and tie rod.

Thanks for the clarification! That's what I had assumed but you know what they say happens there.

There are after market ones with replaceable joints, but really only worth it if you have really big tires and go through joints pretty quick.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ