Relay / Breaker next to fuse box?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
brensblue81

Relay / Breaker next to fuse box?

Post by brensblue81 »

Hi, I'm new here with an 81 Wagoneer, 360, Australian assembled. I'm an AMC guy with Javelins and a Rebel but this is my first Jeep.
I bought it complete from a salvage yard, have got it running and am now going through the electricals.
Can someone help me identify the white rectangular relay/circuit breaker with three male tabs located to the left of the fuse box? It buzzes with headlights on, headlights work while it's buzzing, headlights also work with the relay/circuit breaker removed.

Here's a pic of the relay/circuit breaker, can anyone tell me what it's for? I've ordered a workshop manual but that'll be a few weeks and diagrams I've seen of the fuse box do not have this part.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcKm3wue4WZpJdGb7

Thanks

sirrus
Vendor

Re: Relay / Breaker next to fuse box?

Post by sirrus »

Welcome!

That thing is called a chime module and it buzzes at you when you leave lights on with engine off or key in ignition with door open. Ones I’ve seen are blue and have more pins, but I guess there were different styles.

In my opinion it’s very useful, but unfortunately it’s placed where it gets a lot of moisture and over time they start to buzz all the time. If it’s annoying, you can just yank it out
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
brensblue81

Re: Relay / Breaker next to fuse box?

Post by brensblue81 »

Thanks Sirrus, a modern car feature... :oops:

While troubleshooting I found the harness plug to headlight switch was half melted too so not an entire waste of time looking for the buzzz

Cheers :-bd