Directional issue

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
itselliott

Directional issue

Post by itselliott »

I built the jeep to completion about 7 years ago....I haven't driven it at night till last week. The issue is the turn signals.
Without the head lights "on" the directionals work ....but side markers alternate with the front and rear lights. When the head or parking lights are on,....everything just freezes. I know I must have a ground improperly connected(or missing)....wondering if someone has tackled this recently and give a heads up because I don't want to just start cutting into the harness.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Directional issue

Post by Stuka »

Does anything change if you put on the high beams vs low beams?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Did you replace any of the lamp sockets? side reflectors or front lower signals? I had a time getting everything working right after i did mine all new. Similar issues as you describe, was switched wires/ grounds.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
itselliott

Post by itselliott »

Stuka wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:21 pm Does anything change if you put on the high beams vs low beams?
I'll have to check :roll:

Topic author
itselliott

Post by itselliott »

Stuka wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:21 pm Does anything change if you put on the high beams vs low beams?
So,...in checking, NO the hi beam doesn't change a thing.
BUT I was incorrect in the OP No lights on,.... directionals work , side markers are in unison with the front and rear.
Now, turn the lights on (even just parking) the side markers are out of sync and flash real slow but only once or twice then freeze.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Can you still hear the turn signal relay clicking like normal?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
itselliott

Post by itselliott »

Stuka wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:33 am Can you still hear the turn signal relay clicking like normal?
It immediately slows down and stops so thinking there's a short to ground...thru a bulb?..reversed polarity???
I have already replaced the relay.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I would draw out the circuit from the wiring diagram, then start taking readings along the way. Use a big piece of paper (tape sheets together?), color the wires if you want, and write your notes on the sheets in pencil.

If you have the mechanical turn signal relays, those will go faster if there is a short or more of a load. Slow means something is open.

Lights are not polar, unless you have LEDs. The polarity of the circuit is determined by the body and frame serving as a ground buss (negative earth aka negative ground). The bulbs don't care which way the current flows, but the circuits depend on their design that returns to the battery through the body and frame.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.