Urgent question on r12 capacity

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Urgent question on r12 capacity

Post by candymancan »

So i finally got my new compressor in... and im filling it with r12 now. I put two cans in which is 24 oz. I leaked maybe an ounce or twi when filling. The stupid king valve is leaking.. but thankfully the cap for the valve has an O ring and should hold back a small leak.

Anyway.. the capacity for the jeep says 32oz of r12. I have one more can on me. Should i just dump that can in ? The Jeep will have about 36 oz in it then.. is that okay ? Or should i just stick with the 22-24 oz i put in.

The sight glass.. is solid white.. but not clear.. which means its probably tad low on refrigerant. What do you guys think ?

Also will the cap on the low side valve hold in the leak ? I made it as tight as possible.. and it has a black o ring on it.. soo i think itll be ok.. this sucks though with that leak on the king valve
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

SJTD

Re: Urgent question on r12 capacity

Post by SJTD »

No valve on the can?

Mine pierces the can when you install it. Well, it's open when you install it on the can and you get nothing. You close it and it pierces the can. Then you open it and get the gas. You can close it when you get enough and it holds the remainder in the can. Anyway, you don't want to overcharge it. What's the range on the capacity? Is 32oz or 32 max? Usually there's a range. Also might be smart to wait and see how fast you loose it so you don't waste it.

Well, that's the old one. The new ones work with the cans that have a valve on them.

If you didn't suck the air out of the pump or purge it with the R12 you'll always have some air circulating but I don't know how it'll look is the glass.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Re: Urgent question on r12 capacity

Post by candymancan »

I got the can peicer that squeeze on the side if the can. I vouldnt find decent top ones. But i just remembered it has a shrader valve so if i unscrew the hose itll hold the can till i use again.

However driving it around for 2 hours todsy. Its cold enough especially when i get moving. In traffic my jeep gets to near 215f sitting in 87f temps. Moving at a snails pace. And the a.c while still cold got less cold. But once i moved the jeep goes back down to 200-205f and the air is really cold.

Yea i didnt vacuu. The systen.. just flushed the comoressor out as good as i could of the page oil by mixing the mineral oil in it and turning it by hand.. then draining and reoeating that all while turning it by hand.. i flushed about 16oz through it. Then i hooked it up. And as i filled it i noticed the king valve on the hose qas leaking... put two cans in.. and th3n put the cap for the valve on which has an o ring.

And i didnt see oil or anything leaking oast that. So hopefully it will stop the refrigerant leak there.. well see i guess..

Im just going to stick with two cans. The chart i found just says 4.5oz of mineral oil and 32oz of r12 for 89-91 grand wagoneers. So i put in 4.5/5 oz or so of oil and 24 oz of r12.

Ima save the 3rd can. And i need to buy a 4th last one from the dude i bought the 3 i had from. After thats gone. Unless i find more cabs ill have to use th3 r12a butane/propane stuff.. it works.. i used it before but in weary of flammable gases lol.

Anyway, a.c works good so far cross fingers.. only real negative besides the leak on the valve. Was the comoressor made ho3rible screeching noises above 1000rpm. Then it stopped once i revved the engine a few times.. hasnt come back since. Not sure what that was about.. only thing i can think of is i got nineral/pag oil all over the compressor clutch
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)