What are these silver pull cables?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
toxicwaste29

Post by toxicwaste29 »

Anyone have an idea what these silver knobs are for? They are pull cables that go to the heater box. Sounds like the one open and closes a door in the heater box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Fresh air vents - when you pull on it it opens the door in kick panel an let’s air from cowl to enter the cab.

UPD: I didn’t notice the second set of knobs in your pics :) no idea what they control, but it’s definitely not factory stuff
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

fulsizjeep

Re: What are these silver pull cables?

Post by fulsizjeep »

Just a wild guess but the right side may be a manual choke and the left side may have something to do with the plow controls.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

will e

Post by will e »

fulsizjeep wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:35 am Just a wild guess but the right side may be a manual choke and the left side may have something to do with the plow controls.
Flint, that's not a 'wild guess', that's an informed guess. ;)

Let me demonstrate:

Wild guess, I think those control the seat lumbar. :D
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

itselliott

Post by itselliott »

They could very well be heater box door control cables...The CJ's had the cable control the door positions. This could be a home made set up by the PO. Do the OEM heater controls just flop or do they work as they should?

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yeah, TW says they go to the heater box and actuation makes noise in there so choke or winch controls seem unlikely.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
toxicwaste29

Post by toxicwaste29 »

The carb has an electric choke and the plow controls are all off the two switches on its own panel. The heater control buttons dont seem to press in all the way if thats what you mean. Must be like a CJ set up

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

The stock arrangement uses the lever to adjust temp via a door in the heater box that bypasses the core. The flapper doors that that send the air to the defrost or floor vents are vacuum controlled by the buttons.

I think. Been several years since I pulled it all out and close to thirty since I drove it.

Maybe the vacuum valve is bad or the hoses are broken and this was the fix.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I would just look under the dash and see where those two auxiliary ones go. They definitely aren't factory.
toxicwaste29 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:19 pm The carb has an electric choke and the plow controls are all off the two switches on its own panel. The heater control buttons dont seem to press in all the way if thats what you mean. Must be like a CJ set up
The buttons not going in most likely means the dash needs to be pulled and clean and lubricate the switch.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ