82 Cherokee Cruise Removal

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
JeepNorris

82 Cherokee Cruise Removal

Post by JeepNorris »

Got my 82 Cherokee in October and previous owner cut power to cruise control. I want to remove it but not sure what to do with the two cables (see pic green and purple lines) feeding it? Will they mess up my speedometer if they are temp abandoned/secured under the hood for future Dakota Digital system later?

I've read where speedometer needle bounce was attributed to cruise control disfunction in the past...

Any feedback would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

will e

Re: 82 Cherokee Cruise Removal

Post by will e »

I 'think' you can attach the original speedo cable to the speedometer. But it's been a while since I did this.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Take a look at the parts books on the Tom Collins site. I would guess that, like will e says, the speedo cable without cruise will go directly from the transfer case to the speedo head. The earlier book that I have shows many different speedometer cables for different years, models and equipment. You should be able to disconnect the existing cables and abandon them in place, then route the cable for your year/model without cruise and connect it at both ends. You may want to remove the short cable and use the existing hole in the firewall for the new cable.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
JeepNorris

Post by JeepNorris »

Attention Username: Weeegoneeer
I received ur message but for some reason this site says I'm not authorized to compose a private message so I'm posting here hoping you will see.

The source of where I read about speedo needle bounce with DD cluster was a thread on this board called "My 1988 Wagoneer" Username sirrus dated May 5, 2021 around page 5 of that thread. From what I gather cable needed cable grease as it was dry as a bone. His thread is pretty informative and encourage ya to read all of it.
Hope that helps and hope you see this post.
Anyone that can assist me to understand why I'm not authorized to send private messages would be appreciated as well