87' Grand Wagoneer Defrost Relay work around

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
TimGee

87' Grand Wagoneer Defrost Relay work around

Post by TimGee »

I've been having issues with the tail gate glass defrost. Previously when you start the truck the rear defrost switch defaulted to 'On'. When I tried to turn it off it would blow the IGN/LMPS fuse that powers the gauges. Thinking it was a faulty defrost timer relay I ordered one from eBay: 'Grand Wagoneer "Jeep AMC Heated Rear Window 75-86 Relay NOS 5454614"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284249137455

Here's the original installed:

Defogger relay installed.jpg

But when I installed the 'new' one and it behaved the same - defaulted to on and blew the fuse when I tried to turn it off. Instead of tracking down the issue any further we bypassed the relay and now the switch on the dash is just a constant on/off switch. Problem solved. No more blown fuse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. 360ci V8. Holly Fuel Injection

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: 87' Grand Wagoneer Defrost Relay work around

Post by Stuka »

So its clear you have a short some place. I have posted a wiring diagram below (technically for an 85, but I don't think it changed from there on).

With you bypassing the timer switch, does the defroster light no longer come on? If not, the short is most likely in the defroster light. As the fuse that was blowing for you is not directly related to the defroster outside of the light to say that it is on.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
TimGee

Re: 87' Grand Wagoneer Defrost Relay work around

Post by TimGee »

Stuka wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:27 am So its clear you have a short some place. I have posted a wiring diagram below (technically for an 85, but I don't think it changed from there on).

With you bypassing the timer switch, does the defroster light no longer come on?
Hey Stuka,

The switch's light functions as it should with the relay bypassed. I haven't tested to see if the defrost wires are powered or not. It's on the list!

I'm bringing the truck into a mechanic here in SLC so I'll mention the relay issue to them. The truck is having a hard time turning over in the morning and it idles very roughly. My skill set isn't up to diagnosing engine issues or most electrical.

If anyone has a recommendation for a Jeep mechanic in the Salt Lake Valley it would be most appreciated.

Tim
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. 360ci V8. Holly Fuel Injection