Tailgate Window Motor Compatibility?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
spjohnson1031

Tailgate Window Motor Compatibility?

Post by spjohnson1031 »

Hello All,

Yesterday I pulled my tailgate apart to diagnose a non-functioning electric tailgate window on my 1970 Wagoneer. Well, what I found was a motor that had the outer shell completely rotted through. Needless to say, it is total trash and cannot be rebuilt. On that note, I can't find a single replacement motor for a 1970. All that are available seem to be 1974+. My question is, can a later model motor be used or modified to work? It would really stink to not have any functionality in my tailgate window!

Thanks in advance!
~Scott

1970 Jeep Wagoneer

tgreese

Re: Tailgate Window Motor Compatibility?

Post by tgreese »

Scott, looking at the books, it's clearly different from the the '74-ish motor. Whether you could make it work I don't know. Maybe it will even bolt in. I have a few suggestions for how you might approach this.

First, I'd look at the parts book that covers your Jeep. This book is free for you to read and download at the Tom Collins site.

This is a detail from the illustrations, followed by the listings.

The'74-78ish motor is different.

You might be able to take this motor and either adapt your regulator to work, or possibly it will bolt up. Somebody here might know, though the number of members with the same age-range vehicle that have dealt with this issue will be small. Most of the Wagoneers and GWs here that have survived are the mid-80s-on examples, I would think. I'm sure production numbers of the pre-AMC Wagoneers was low, even in the Buick years. By this time, Kaiser wanted out of Jeep.

I have a few suggestions -

First, I would look for used parts. Since production was low and it's quite different from the later models, looking for a new replacement online will be a waste of time. Plus old utility vehicles and trucks are valued way lower than the popular passenger cars of the era, and parts prices must be correspondingly lower, reducing the supply of parts. There will be few buyers for these unusual parts, and they will be unwilling to spend a lot of money. Service parts will be available that cross a lot of years and models. The GWs that sell for "big" money are later examples and total creampuffs that need nothing, something James Taylor would buy to putt around Martha's Vineyard.

I would, however, do an online search for the part number plus "Jeep." Someone somewhere might have a NOS motor for sale that matches what you need. This will also cover the very unlikely possibility that there is new production available.

If you want used parts, it's important to put your general location in your profile, so that it appears in every post. This may bring offers of the part you want, or suggestions of local yards that could have what you need.

You could advertise in the WTB (want to buy) forum here, and look for part-out cars in the for-sale listings here and at IFSJA, or possibly your local Jeep/4x4 forum.

If the newer motor does not fit your regulator, you should be able to substitute a complete motor and regulator from a later example. The resources above may help you source the later parts too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.