Coffin tank brackets frustration

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
autocomman

Coffin tank brackets frustration

Post by autocomman »

Heyoo...so I've got a 72 wagoneer and I'm swapping the tank. The tank in it is the plastic coffin tank, it was held in by a poorly made aluminum trey with brackets that were pop rivited on. I dunno how it hadn't fallen out of the truck honestly. I got a new plastic tank and the 3 brackets everyone seems to get. 2 Z brackets and a flat one. The 2 z brackets are obvious, though not impressive as far as holding the tank in. But I dunno how or where the flat bracket is supposed to go. Anyone have pics? I assume the tank is still somehow supported by the frame only? Or does it get pressed on the body? This setup has to work somehow, but I have no idea how.

tgreese

Re: Coffin tank brackets frustration

Post by tgreese »

A '72 would have had a steel tank from the factory. The plastic gas tank was not used by the factory until 1980.

Prior to this date, the steel skid plate was an optional accessory. The steel gas tanks have enough structural strength to hold them up in the frame without a support underneath. With the introduction of plastic tanks, the skid plate became standard equipment because it was needed to support the gas tank from underneath.

I believe the only supplier of these tanks is MTS. Apparently MTS makes this tank to go up in the frame with no skid plate underneath. Who did you get your new tank from? You should have gotten their instruction sheet with the tank. Part #0020. http://www.mtscompany.com/J-truck.htm They refer to the brackets you describe.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
autocomman

Post by autocomman »

It's an MTS tank. I know it should have a metal one but it's been swapped out at some point. This new tank came with the truck. The owner said the one in there leaks, so I was just gonna swap it out and not worry about it. I do have the instructions, but it doesn't make sense what your supposed to do with the center strap. I don't know where it's supposed to bolt on to, it's not obvious. One end there is a bracket hanging down from a cross section in the frame next to the driveshaft. But the other end would boot to the frame, but where?

Topic author
autocomman

Post by autocomman »

The instructions say the center strap goes where the original one did on the metal tank, and pulls the tank up against the support brackets under the floor boards. There are no brackets to pull the tank up against on the floor, and the metal tank was supported solely by the frame not pressed on the body. Wouldn't make sense as it's body on frame. Since they can move it should either be held by the body OR the frame, not both.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

As I read the instructions, all that's needed for the end brackets are the original holes in the frame.

The parts book shows a bit more, but definitely has the center strap as well as bolts on the edges.

I suspect iif you mount the end brackets, that will be enough to hold the tank up while it's empty and figure out the strap installation. Then lift the tank in place with the center strap as described.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

the key to the older metal tank is ref in Tim's schematic, 4.152-1, -2, and -3

4.152.1 is the strap - I did an homemade version at some point,

the -3 is a bracket welded inside the frame , a real pita to reach, you need the tank sideways to hook up the strap

and -2 is the rod that hooks up on a bracket under the cargo area, it is attached to the frame...here is another example -not mine- where the rod is replaced with a bracket, and this one has a skid plate
TankStrap70s.jpg
I probably have pict -let's see- not too much, it was BC -before cell phone cameras- and probably before digital cameras...

The issue with the OEM is that at some point some bracket will sway and the tank is going to rub against the frame, or the bracket breaks... usually during an off-road outing... JB weld rules and you can fix a metal tank...

2 other bolt points, one in front by rear of the transfer case and one in the back riding on the inner edge of the driver's side frame
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

One alternative would be to have a skid plate made, and strap the tank to it. That would eliminate the puzzle of the brackets, be a desirable trail enhancement and solve your concern about contact with the body and the frame.

I know that here in the Northeast there are local 4x4 hobbyists that do fab work as a side business - skid plates, roll bars, bumpers, etc. Likely there are where you are too. Suggest you put your location and model/year/equipment in your profile, then it will appear in every post. https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/member ... ile&u=4664 Someone local might reach out to help.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
autocomman

Post by autocomman »

Yeah, mine has no provision for the strap. I called MSC and they said the strap is supposed to attach to the body. There were numerous different mounting designs in the 70s. So basically I'm gonna reuse the grey that the previous owner made as it fits the tank snugly. And make brackets to mount that with the stock frame mount points. And make a bracket to hold the tank in the trey.