1986 Grand Wagoneer solenoid wiring questions

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
909Hemi

1986 Grand Wagoneer solenoid wiring questions

Post by 909Hemi »

Hi Guys! Thanks for having me :)
I bought a 86 GW 360/auto. The solenoid wiring is goofy... the guy told me it was when I bought it; Leaving all the wires attached drains the battery quickly. The 2 green wires sharing 1 connector has a ground on it, as does the 14Ga. black wire... which has a cut-off green wire on the same conn. . How do I solve this, and which of the smaller side terminals are "S" and "I"?
Thanks in advance; Frank in SoCal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 909Hemi on Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Grand Cherokee
1986 Grand Wagoneer
4 old Mopars :)

will e

Re: 1985 Grand Wagoneer solenoid wiring questions

Post by will e »

Hi Frank and welcome to the forum.

The "s" and "I" terminals stand for 'Start' and 'Ignition'.

Under normal operation when the key is turned to the crank position the 's' terminal is energized, this closes the solenoid and the starter turns over the engine.
The "I" terminal is connected to the coil. The "I" terminal also has power when the engine is cranking. The reason for this is to make sure the coil gets enough volts during cranking. Normally the coil gets power from an ignition circuit that includes a resistor wire that drops the voltage. During cranking the starter draws so much power that the voltage available drops to 9 volts or so. Power from the "I" terminal does not have a resistor in place and gets all of the available voltage to the coil.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Hi - Do you own and know how to use a multimeter? The small terminals should be marked S and I on the plastic housing. If not, the S terminal goes through the solenoid coil and grounds to the base of the solenoid. You should measure a very low resistance from S to the base. I believe the I terminal is internally connected to the big terminal for the starter cable.

All the solenoid does is bridge between the two big terminals. If you get the big cables backwards, the solenoid will still work - though with the I terminal connected to the starter side, the ignition will be on even with the key off. Seems unlikely, since I;d expect the engine would not shut off if those cables were backwards.

Also - the battery cable side of the solenoid is a convenient place to attach whatever accessories might need power with the key off, like maybe driving lights. It's also where the charge wire from the alternator connects to the battery. The charge wire goes to the big bulkhead connector on the firewall and up to the dash where it feeds all the dash and the lights. It then goes through the ammeter, back to the bulkhead and to the solenoid, where it connects to the battery. Anywhere along that routs, if you have a load connected in, it will drain the battery.

I suggest you read the '85 GW wiring diagram here. https://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html Usually when stuff like this is messed with, most of it is still there and will match the diagram. The colors and sizes of the wires will be there, along with the components laid out on the schematic in generally the location they are on the Jeep. You really need the car in front of you to diagnose a problem like this - take it one wire at a time, and use your multimeter or test light.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
909Hemi

Post by 909Hemi »

Thanks for the answers! :) My replacement solenoid is un-marked, but the tip about one of the side terminals being grounded will help me identify it. Yes; I do own a VOM, a crimp kit, and even a Tone/Trace set. I'm a retired Phone Man (I+R), and I'm familiar with tracing low voltage systems. The link to the wiring diagram is something I have been looking for a LONG time too!
My '85 only has 108,000 miles on it, and came with $5,000 in engine and trans receipts. It had been sitting a long time and just needs my love ;) I'll get this solenoid issue sorted... and then it's on to the 4 non-working power windows!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 909Hemi on Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Grand Cherokee
1986 Grand Wagoneer

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

909Hemi wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:21 am ... one of the side terminals being grounded will help me identify it. Yes; I do own a VOM, a crimp kit, and even a Tone/Trace set. The link to the wiring diagram is something I have been looking for a LONG time too! ...
You mean one of the small terminals. The side terminals are bridged by the solenoid action. There is a copper disk inside that bridges the side terminals when the solenoid is activated. It's a relay, and the S terminal is the relay coil that grounds to the inner fender. Looks like you have it covered. :-bd
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

nograin

Post by nograin »

The factory wiring diagram for '84 (which also covers '85) can be a pain to figure some of the circuits on.
When you work with it, keep in mind instead of connecting everything to the 1st battery illustration, they duplicate the battery in other sections dealing with other circuits. Same with some other items.

You can use the schematic on my webpage for the basic power and starting arrangements.
http://www.heritech.org/wagoneer/mggw5.html

On an '85 it is not a good idea to add any auxillery equipment to the battery post or the solenoid.

letank

Post by letank »

here is the 85 for color match , you seem to be missing the starter wire which is light blue on the greenish side going the S terminal. The I terminal is the red/white to power the coil directly
SolStarter85BroFSJx.jpg
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

letank

Post by letank »

Here is an 86 with the different colors for the solenoid wiring the Red/white is Green/White and the blue as defined by the TSM is now green.
But you can spot the 2 green with eyelet going onto the battery post looking similar to yours -This one is almost unaltered- My 85 is modded with a large amp fuse not shown in the pict

you can spot the S terminal label
SolStarter86DSLfsjx.jpg
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

nograin

Post by nograin »

Those are good photos.
It does look very possible like the OP's photo is showing an '86 wiring arrangement.
Very different.
For that will need new fusible links.

Topic author
909Hemi

Post by 909Hemi »

CORRECTION: (I'm the OP) My GW is a 1986. I would'nt have thought this would make any difference at all, but as one poster noted "1986's are quite different" :)
2019 Grand Cherokee
1986 Grand Wagoneer