squeak when turning

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
pksjeep

squeak when turning

Post by pksjeep »

The truck is a 1963 j-200 pickup.

I am getting a squeak from the steering column when I turn. I have tried to lube the bearing for the steering shaft. But still get a squeak. Do I need to lube the horn contact that contacts the ring on the back of the steering wheel? If so, what should I use, white grease, Silicone grease or????

Yeller

Re: squeak when turning

Post by Yeller »

A little graphite or silicone spray, even WD40 on the horn contact should take care of it. No need to take anything apart, you can insert the straw between the column and steering wheel. I have an open top truck that needs it regularly. Just be careful, it takes very little, too much and the horn won’t work. Also if you have an aftermarket wheel with a Grant adapter the contact ring is too thin and when it begins to squeak it’s toast and needs replaced. The turn signal cancel/horn contact ring is available separately and of better quality.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
pksjeep

Post by pksjeep »

Will give it a try, thanks

Topic author
pksjeep

Post by pksjeep »

The WD-40 tube didn.t fit. I ended up pulling the steering wheel. I put a light layer of white lithium grease on the metal ring on the bottom side steering wheel. The part that contacted the metal ring was also sticky and didn't slide in the housing, so I lubed it up also with the grease. It is good now