NP228/229 Linkage, questions & references.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
BaldBeardedBastard

NP228/229 Linkage, questions & references.

Post by BaldBeardedBastard »

So I have been shaking out my Cummins build, and finally getting to the transfer case linkage/operations. The 1st builder I had for this hacked the ever living something out of the linkage/vacuum shifter(we parted ways soon after once the damage was done), so I am working unfortunately with a bit of a clean slate.

I did a bunch of Googling/site searching so for the next guy trying to dig into this, here is a list of references/links I found;
Schematic Overview
Picture4.png
Reference Picture 1
Picture 1_reduced.png
Reference Picture 2
Picture 2_reduced.png
So as you can see, I have no linkage hooked up to the 2WD/4WD selector(Rotation 1). The questions I have first are observational & operations-focused
  1. I observed lateral movement with the keyed portion of the selector(denoted 'B') of about 1/4". Is that supposed to do that?
  2. In the factory set up, does the vacuum motor push and via pivot rotate A or B? I think its B, but just figured I would ask those more experienced on this than me.
Considering that my vacuum system is pretty knackered, I am considering sourcing the correct shift lever either from Ebay or a local pull yard and going with the manual operation 'twin stick' that Rock Laurence has. If I had more of the vacuum system still in place, I would have no issue with getting it going again, but I feel like that ship has sailed considering the $ needed to get it back to spec. I would love opinions and any different ideas.

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BaldBeardedBastard on Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'86 GW Cummins 2.8/4l60E. Hopefully bouncing down a dusty road somewhere.
Build Thread

Theduke

Re: NP228/229 Linkage, questions & references.

Post by Theduke »

I'd go with a cable style shifter for 2wd to 4wd. Simple push pull knob. It doesn't take a lot of force and the throw is pretty short. Also if the bracket that held the vacuum actuator is still there it can hold the cable. Mcmaster carr or lokar would be the best bet. It is what I plan on doing.
1989 Grand Wagoneer
AMC360 TF727 NP229

89_Wagon

Post by 89_Wagon »

Here's the best pic I could find via google. Should help guiding how the system works. When I took apart an NP229, I tested the hi/lo and 2wd/4wd functions using a wrench and observing the output shafts when turning the input shaft. Both functions rotate a shaft. IIRC they move collars in the case. The lateral movement does not engage anything. Rotation 1 does everything. But, there are 2 different shafts to rotate. Rotation 2 is just a lever to rotate 1 for the hi/lo... which only moves in 4WD. Your "b" does 2WD/4WD. "A" does hi/lo.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listi ... attachment

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Its a simple setup. You can easily Fab' a replacement lever for the 2WD/4WD. Note: theres a lock-out detent in the HI/LO that requires it to be in 4WD. My kit provides links that are longer than needed to allow for customizing shifter position or variations in drivetrain
https://rocklaurencevintageautoparts.co ... k-or-wagon
Last edited by rocklaurence on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
BaldBeardedBastard

Post by BaldBeardedBastard »

Thanks guys!

For the adjustability and the ease of it being pre-assembled, I actually got one of your kits Rocklaurence- just showed up today!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

'86 GW Cummins 2.8/4l60E. Hopefully bouncing down a dusty road somewhere.
Build Thread

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Awesome!! :!: