AC temp up and down

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Racegas

AC temp up and down

Post by Racegas »

Recently replaced hose and drier. Recharged system. AC will blow ice cold, then air becomes cool, then ice cold again, cool, ice cold. Bad switch?
Robert E Lee
89 GW White/Maroon, Son's DD

89 GW Silver/Maroon/Rust, parts car

FSJunkie

Re: AC temp up and down

Post by FSJunkie »

On the older systems like ours, the compressor cycles to maintain evaporator core temperature within a certain range. As the evaporator cools, the compressor cycles off, as it warms up, the compressor cycles back on. There will be a change in outlet air termperature as the system cycles on and off. The termperature switch that controls compressor cycling has a long copper capillary tube that sticks into the evaporator coils. It is very important that the tip of the tube sticks directly into the dead center of the evaporator and that some length of the tube loops around the end coils.

If that doesn't do the trick, then the switch is probably bad. It has what is called a "historisis effect", which is the buffer zone it gives between on and off. The size of this zone will affect the termperature change in the outlet air as the compressor cycles. be warned, you don't want the compressor cycling on and off too much, it's not good for the clutch.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

babywag

Post by babywag »

On later model '86-up there is a small module under the dash mounted to the rear of the driver's side ductwork.
This module controls cycling of the compressor.
If this module is bad it may cause this issue.

The thermistor may also be bad and can be tested.
Spec chart is in the MR253 manual.

I'd start with the module.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Spirit_of_61

Post by Spirit_of_61 »

babywag wrote:On later model '86-up there is a small module under the dash mounted to the rear of the driver's side ductwork.
This module controls cycling of the compressor.
If this module is bad it may cause this issue.

The thermistor may also be bad and can be tested.
Spec chart is in the MR253 manual.

I'd start with the module.
You have been talking about FSJ ac for a long time evidently. Have you been able to get yours to work? Have you found a thermistor replacement?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Utahbroker

Post by Utahbroker »

I am in same boat. Located replacement module (EBay) now need replacement thermistor. Unable to locate a thermistor for 86 JGW

89_Wagon

Post by 89_Wagon »

My 89 will cycle on/off on every setting except max AC. It seems that's the way these FSJs control temp. I always had it on max AC and until this spring and I too thought my AC broke. I experienced that cold then cool then cold cycling every minute or so. There's no fresh air mix in these systems so on/off is the only way to control temp.

Does this happen on max AC?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Like he said. On max a.c it wont cycle on and off.. only if you turn the temp up closer to middle will it do that.

Temps can also chabge based on driving. Sitting in traffic or at a light itll be warmer. When you move itll get colder again due to the condensor getting more air from moving.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)