some things I've done, some problems i have

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
swmpdonkey

some things I've done, some problems i have

Post by swmpdonkey »

Okay well Cherokee has been running like a top, except on start up and oil leaks, exhaust leaks, but otherwise it runs good.

So when it sits shut off for a a day or 8hrs or more when I start up it fires up and dies with in about 10-20 seconds. Then I have to crank the hell out of it to get it to start and sometimes pump gas are idle it up with peddle for a bit to keep it running. Once it is running then it idles fine and runs fine at all speeds.

Here is a list of things I have changed because well it needed it regardless
-new cap rotor, plugs wires,
-fuel pump died so new mechanical pump and filter.
-new fuel line from filter to carb

Here is what I think:
-Thinking about rebuilding the carb edelbrock 1405 with manual choke, but really want a holley with electric choke.
-thinking of changing distributor as one of few things haven't been changed and harness for it looks a little crisp (not sure how old unit is
-Maybe add phenolic spacer?? (edlbrock intake and carb already on jeep)

Any ideas what may cause this???

Problem #2
leaky valve cover gasket eroded my header gaskets away. So I changed valve cover gaskets now I have ordered the remflex gaskets. Problem is I cannot get a socket or wrench on the header bolts. I am using a penatrent on them but I do not think the corrosion is stopping me, the bends on the header tubes are tight and close to the bolts.

Any suggestions?

Problem #3

Thought my valve covers was only oil leak, ha ha ha on me. After running some uv dye through motor appears it is also leaking from the oil filter adapter. Actually through the the plug that retains the spring.

I cleaned threads put sealant on, no luck tried thread locker no luck I believe maybe PO over tightened this before and maybe cracked or slightly stripped something.

So here is the issue
- I can only find oil filter relocate kits as outfits are having supply/quality issues with replacement filter adapters.
-I would rather just get a adapter but if I get a filter relocate kit should I run a mid-plate upgrade with both (my oil pressure is good)
-Any pros cons to a relocation kit?
-where are you mounting your filters does not seem to be very many good accessible spots

sorry for being long winded
1979 Cherokee Chief GOLDEN EAGLE
360/th400/q-trac
35 inch Mickey Thompson
York On Board Air
10000lbs winch

ScottsMojo

Re: some things I've done, some problems i have

Post by ScottsMojo »

If you are leaking from the oil pressure relief spring retaining bolt, replace the crush washer that sits between the housing and the retaining bolt. sillycone will do you nothing but cause grief when applied to the oil circuit!