NEED OPINIONS

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
JERSEYJOE

NEED OPINIONS

Post by JERSEYJOE »

OK On my 87 J-20 I have a mint factory bed mat thanks to Red Mistress. It's a long stroy how I got it and it was expensive considering the fuel , travel time and the actual price I paid so my dilema is this: on this truck I also have a factory style roll bar that has been carefully blasted and powder coated. As you know the factory roll bar is a two piece design with the main portion bolted to the bed rails and the second piece bolted to the bed floor. There in lies the dilema. Do I just mount the inner roll bar part on top of the bed mat or cut the bed mat around the mounting plates? Either way this ultra rare bed mat gets cut. Currently the roll bar is minus the inner part until I decide. Gonna sell the truck and do not want to make the wrong decisions

OPINIONS????

The PIG Smith

Re: NEED OPINIONS

Post by The PIG Smith »

My opinion and it is only that, an opinion, that I would not cut or destroy anything you consider valuable, collectible, uncommon or rare.
The Buyer may consider not installing the roll bar to maintain the value in those pieces.

If you decide to keep it for yourself and you like the looks of the roll bar, then by all means, build the truck that you want.

I have forgotten, do you prefer all upper case text to make these post easier to read?
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Topic author
JERSEYJOE

Post by JERSEYJOE »

Thanks Bryan. The marvel of modern science has allowed me to read much better and to no longer use caps.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

My opinion would be to put the center bars in on top of the mat, but not bolt the bottom down, just pry in between the two pieces to push it down and then tighten the upper bolts. That should keep it from rattling.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

jaber wrote:My opinion would be to put the center bars in on top of the mat, but not bolt the bottom down, just pry in between the two pieces to push it down and then tighten the upper bolts. That should keep it from rattling.
This is the same thing I was thinking.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Mike W

Post by Mike W »

I agree with Jaber. Don't cut the mat, especially if you plan on selling it. Let the new owner decide.
1977 Cherokee, 360/TH400/QT, HEI (Gifted to son for his first vehicle. Currently FSJ-less)

Topic author
JERSEYJOE

Post by JERSEYJOE »

GREAT IDEA!!!!