Topic author
Knucklehead

Re: Trans Cooler Hard Line

Post by Knucklehead »

Thats the way I read it as well.

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Ok. I purposely left the trans cooler off when I replaced the radiator last summer as I wanted to perform a "cause and effect" test. So, this weekend we loaded up for camping and fishing and hit the road. Temps were in the low 90s and towing the pop-up with the canoe on top of the rig saw coolant temperatures at a VERY consistent 205-207f range. This is with the trans cooler plumbed through the radiator only, and running through some moderately hilly terrain.

The next test will be to plumb the cooler through the cooler and then to the radiator and we will see what the results are.

BTW, 205-207f is what Schwag runs unloaded, at highway speeds in the heat of the summer. Absolutely no change towing ~2000 lbs gear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

That suggest you do not have any cooling issues. Which is a good thing. If you are running a 190 stat thats not far off from where you should be. Although it may drop a bit with the trans cooler in place.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Running a 195 stat. I think I'm also a lil lean on the primaries so I need to look at that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lindel

Post by lindel »

If you are a little lean on the primaries, that will add a few degrees, but probably not enough to notice much.

Trans cooler will probably do more for the transmission than for the engine coolant temps, but it's still a no-brainer.
Lindel

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

I'm not expecting to gain much cooling capacity by fattening it up, but if it drops a little great, and it will run better. Its not off by much, but its off...

I have to say that I am completely satisfied with the cooling system performance, its working well and with a 195 stat installed its not pushed over 210f since I have put it back together, and thats with no shroud. I made a shroud this spring just haven't installed it yet.

I'm thinking about installing a trans fluid temp gauge to monitor the temp to determine what works best - trans to rad to cooler or trans to cooler to rad. But without a chassis dyno and a test lab I'm not too sure how accurate a test can be performed on the street, but maybe its worth a shot.

lindel

Post by lindel »

A trans temp gauge is worth the effort, and if you go with one of the top-line names it'll be accurate enough to go by.
Lindel

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Stumbled across this page and wanted to post the link. It gives fitting size and flow direction for a lot of trannys.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/cooler-fittings

The 400, the bottom is out-going and the 727 the front is outgoing. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer