Wing window mounting tab

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Wing window mounting tab

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Had the driver side wing window separate from the upper tab that holds it to the door. The tab is 90* and it cracked off right at the bend. Can this be welded back together or is there too much of a chance of cracking the window?
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

whsii

Re: Wing window mounting tab

Post by whsii »

Wow, that is a tough call.

The tempered glass does not touch the metal frame, there is a 1/16" rubber continuously on the three sides of the glass that inserts into the frame.

There is rubber tape available to re set the glass, but I could only find it in 1 1/2" widths, where with the locking section of the frame, it needs to be 2" or so.

I pulled the glass out of four frames when restoring mine, I got it down to about ten minutes to remove one. I have some tricks if needed.

Putting the glass back in, I took three or four of the pieces of rubber from the old seal, cut them 1/2" or so long and used them to "locate / align" the glass. I then put masking tape on the window where I wanted the seal to stop, slid the window out, and put black silicone in the channel and put the window back in. Then made sure the sealant was totally filled in the gap around the window frame and frame, added more where needed and let it cure. Took a single edged razor blade and cut along the edge of the frame perpendicular to the glass after it cured, and pulled off the masking tape. Very little detailed clean up was needed.

I did buy two wing glass and frames from a pull a part, but they were powder coated and tinted windows, I needed chrome and clear for my project. (I had the frames chromed). I payed $30 for the pair. You can remove them by removing the door panel and locating the 1/2" nut and spring on the lower pivot and drilling out the rivet at the top pivot.

I have a source for the rivets that are the top pivot also, if needed.

If you do try welding the arm back on without removing the glass, cover the glass well, any slag will burn the glass.

Hope this helps...