Waggy Frame Rot

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Knucklehead

Waggy Frame Rot

Post by Knucklehead »

Ok, quick question on Frame rot. We dropped the tank on the 84 Waggy as part of doing the SOA/Shackle Flip. The frame has what I would call mild corrosion/rust on the inside of the frame where the tank nestles in. It is the worst where the frame turns up to go over the rear axle. It is not completely rusted out or cracked, but you can see that the frame is a bit thinner in that area especially on the bottom of the frame rail. Would it be advisable to fix that area now while we have the tank out? I know BJ's sells a kit for $169 to replace/strengthen that area, but I am not sure I need all that is included in the kit. How thin is to thin? The other option rather than the full frame repair kit would be to weld in a piece of steel strap on the inside of the frame in that area to help strengthen it. I believe the worst of it is along the bottom lip of the frame rail and not on the vertical part. Opinions..Discuss....GO!!!!

ScottsMojo

Re: Waggy Frame Rot

Post by ScottsMojo »

If it were mine I would fix it now. I am sure with a little forethought you could craft a plate/set of plates to sufficiently strengthen the frame for a little bit of cash. How thin is too thin? Hard to say, but if you have enough degradation to prompt the question I would venture to say that its enough to warrant a repair.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Use angle iron that fits inside the bottom rail, it would be stronger then just strap. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

jaber wrote:Use angle iron that fits inside the bottom rail, it would be stronger then just strap. ;)

I actually thought about that after I typed up the first post. Aaannnnddd...I actually already have some out in the garage. :D

whsii

Post by whsii »

BJ's has a kit to repair the frame just in front of the tank.

I know that you can add this and that, but it might be worth a look.

Just my thoughts...

Topic author
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

I looked at that, but it replaces way more than we need. I am thinking for the repair we need, some angle iron should work just fine.