Brake Bleeding?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Snuffleupagus

Brake Bleeding?

Post by Snuffleupagus »

This may seem like a simpleton question, but the brakes on the wagoneer are a tad spongy. Last week I had to jump on the brakes pretty hard and the peddle nearly went all the way to the floor. The brakes never came close to locking up (which was not my intention). None the less, I'd like to know that if the situation should arise that I'll be able to get a good screech from the rubber that meets the road.
Let me know if I'm wrong.....The front brakes on an 86 are disk, while the rear brakes are drums.....Correct?

Does that make the procedure for bleeding all four brakes any different? If not.....Do I start with the bleeder farthest away from the MC, or in any specific order?

Thanks in advance......
I'm usually wrong!!! (I'm not proud of it).
I'm Big Birds Imaginary Friend....
86' Grand Wagoneer...."The B!tch"
Vehicle's Owned.
07' Jeep TJ Unlimited w/ 3" BDS Suspension Lift 2" Body Spacers. 33' MT's
73' VW Beetle "auto stick"
69' VW Super Beetle
94' Isuzu Rodeo
89' Chevy "K5" Blazer
04' Toyota Tacoma
06 Toyota Tundra

lindel

Re: Brake Bleeding?

Post by lindel »

Fronts are disc, rears are drum.

If you look at the proportioning valve (on the frame just behind the driver's front wheel), you'll see a small pin sticking up out of the center of it. You need to press and hold that pin to bleed the rears correctly.

Other than that, the procedure is the same as any other car. Start with the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder and work your way in.
Lindel

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

You should certainly be able to lock them up. My J10 will lock up all fours with 34" TSL's on it. Which are a bit harder to stop than smaller stock size tires. Even my old Cherokee that had non-power 4 wheel drums could lock up the brakes (assuming they were not hot, brake fade was horrible on it).

And technically on my J10, I didn't push in the pin. But I used a vacuum bleeder, not the push the peddle method. When the engine is off, the peddle is rock hard (Which is how it should be checked). With the engine on, they have a good firm feel, not spongy at all.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Mdcptman

Post by Mdcptman »

So u hold th pin the whole time u bleed? That's gonna take a little coordination and flexibility. I don't have much if either. Lol
88 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/208
Edelbrock 2131, non-EGR
Holley 600
Hydroboost
Hedman headers
Dual exhaust
MSD 6A
TFI conversion
Rusty's 2" Add-a-Leaf kit
31 x 10.5 LT15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires
S-10 Steering Box Mod

Quote From Friend's Mom:
"You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

A C Clamp gently attached so it doesn't crush the valve. Some years pull out instead. I would manually adjust the rear brakes first.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

adzam

Brake Bleeding?

Post by adzam »

Is this pin also present on a 1990 waggy? I dont think so, and I just looked in the shop manual and there is no mention of it.

lindel

Post by lindel »

It should be there. Best bet would be to crawl under it and look for yourself.
Lindel

Kaiserman

Post by Kaiserman »

I've never pushed the pin in and I've gotten my rears to bleed fine. Not sure if my valve have been bad or what. I did have to start the Honcho to bleed them. Could not get one
drop from the wheel cylinders with the engine off for some reason.

Stick a piece of small ID vac hose on the bleeder nipple and run it into a clear bottle with some fresh brake fluid in it when you bleed it. Much less mess and you can see the bubbles coming out, along with any contaminants in your old fluid.
1971 J2500 Gladiator Custom-Cab Platform Stake on 126" wb. B350/T18A/D20 D60/D60-3 w/locker 4.10's Ramsey 8klb PTO winch, Day-brook dump. 225/95R16's
1969 J3800 Gladiator 3407Z Camper Truck. B350/T18A/D20 D44/D60-3 w/4.10's
1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400 Mostly Stock
1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0L/AW4 4" lift OEM swing out tire carrier and brushguard