Experiencing binding in the front after installing 3in lift kit

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
JTD

Experiencing binding in the front after installing 3in lift kit

Post by JTD »

Last weekend, I installed a 3" lift kit in my 79 Wagoneer. Replacement springs and shocks in the front. I'm now experiencing some "binding" if you will, in the front end when I turn. I didn't have this issue before the lift was installed. I didn't think a 3" lift would put any undo stress on anything. It ALMOST feels like it would if the 4x4 was locked in, but not nearly that extreme. Really the only things under extra stress I think would be the stock sway bar links. Technically they are being pulled down an extra 3" now. Anyone have any thoughts for insights?

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Experiencing binding in the front after installing 3in lift kit

Post by Stuka »

First, welcome to the forum.

Few things to check:

1: While parked, have somebody turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and to the right, and check to make sure nothing is rubbing or the like.
2: Did this kit come with axle shims for the front by chance? If so, remove them.
3: I assume this is a Quadra-Trac equipped Waggy? If so, make sure its not in E-Drive by accident.

You can disconnecting the sway bar links and zip tie them up out of the way. The links really should be longer as the sway bar needs to be parallel to the ground for it to work properly.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Did you tighten everything before or after you put it back on it's own weight? I like to just snug suspension bolts and drive around the block, taking extra care to hit all the potholes, then tighten everything to toque specs.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
JTD

Post by JTD »

Stuka wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:58 pm First, welcome to the forum.

Few things to check:

1: While parked, have somebody turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and to the right, and check to make sure nothing is rubbing or the like.
2: Did this kit come with axle shims for the front by chance? If so, remove them.
3: I assume this is a Quadra-Trac equipped Waggy? If so, make sure its not in E-Drive by accident.

You can disconnecting the sway bar links and zip tie them up out of the way. The links really should be longer as the sway bar needs to be parallel to the ground for it to work properly.
The kit didn't come with any shims. Also, yes, it is a Quadra- Trac. I had the same thought at first until I actually put it in Edrive. You could definitely tell at that point that the Edrive was actually engaged. Checking to see if anything was rubbing was the first thing I did. Before the lift, she turned beautifully.

Topic author
JTD

Post by JTD »

KJ Ryu wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:02 am Did you tighten everything before or after you put it back on it's own weight? I like to just snug suspension bolts and drive around the block, taking extra care to hit all the potholes, then tighten everything to toque specs.
I actually tightened everything before putting it back on the ground. I wonder if I should loosen everything up a bit, drive it, then re-tighten?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

This may be a stretch but have the ujoints been inspected on front drive shaft? The double cardan joint in particular.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

JTD wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:23 am
KJ Ryu wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:02 am Did you tighten everything before or after you put it back on it's own weight? I like to just snug suspension bolts and drive around the block, taking extra care to hit all the potholes, then tighten everything to toque specs.
I actually tightened everything before putting it back on the ground. I wonder if I should loosen everything up a bit, drive it, then re-tighten?
It will ride better.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Loosen the spring eye bolts, bounce on the bumper some, or rock it side to side, and then tighten them back up. No need to drive it with things loose.

Bad drive shaft u-joints could certainly cause what you are seeing, and is not uncommon after installing a lift with really old u-joints or double carden joints.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
JTD

Post by JTD »

Stuka wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:22 pm
Loosen the spring eye bolts, bounce on the bumper some, or rock it side to side, and then tighten them back up. No need to drive it with things loose.

Bad drive shaft u-joints could certainly cause what you are seeing, and is not uncommon after installing a lift with really old u-joints or double carden joints.
Good call on the u-joints. Since I posted this morning, I removed my front drive shaft and it turns out the double cardan joint at the T-case seems to be catching as I pivot it around. The more extreme the pivot, the worse it gets caught up. Adding the 3" lift changed the angle enough, it reared it's ugly head. I put the Jeep in E-drive and took it for a spin without the front drive shaft. No binding on turns.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Excellent news! :-bd
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac