New High Torque starter for my 360 CID

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

New High Torque starter for my 360 CID

Post by rocklaurence »

Well, I've grown tired of cheap replacement parts on our FSJs because they fail so early. The starter is my next upgrade in the process. The old starter was starting to really Lag/weak when it was hot from driving. So, I bought the Power Master XS https:https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm- ... can-motors . This is a High Torque starter and is really fast and powerful! However, one of the reasons that I bought it was because it was clock-able. But all the available positions were Bad to Worse. Bad is rotating it closest to the block which only provides 1.5" air gap between the solenoid and the Exhaust manifold. The next position placed it against the manifold. The last position puts it down low with plenty of clearance from the manifold but puts it in contact with the crossover tube of the exhaust. So, the best position would require that you move the crossover pipe--I didnt want to do that. I settled on attaching a fiber heat shield to the starter and clocking it close to the block. I really like the performance and quality of the starter but Im concerned with the longevity being so close to the manifold-even with the shield. If or when it fails, Ill update this thread.
Last edited by rocklaurence on Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

tgreese

Re: New High Torque starter for my 360 CID

Post by tgreese »

I would contact the company and share my concerns. They should care if they want their business to grow.

Yeah, I hear the spin fast. No complaints about not spinning fast enough!
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Mopar_guy

Post by Mopar_guy »

A Robb Mc starter is clock able 360 degrees if I remember correctly.
83 Cherokee Laredo

will e

Post by will e »

I would suspect there is a difference between 'clock able' and 'works with every year/model' for any position.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Mopar_guy

Post by Mopar_guy »

Is is clock able in any position and is made for AMC's. I have one in my Javelin and it's a great piece. Look for yourself. http://www.robbmcperformance.com/produc ... arter.html
83 Cherokee Laredo

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Seems he already spent the money so why keep kicking him?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Mopar_guy

Post by Mopar_guy »

Nobody's kicking him. It's just information for the next guy the way that I look at it.
83 Cherokee Laredo

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Fair enough, I appologize.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Mopar_guy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:31 pm Is is clock able in any position and is made for AMC's. I have one in my Javelin and it's a great piece. Look for yourself. http://www.robbmcperformance.com/produc ... arter.html
I like that starter. Its more expensive but looks to fit better and have more options. Is it as powerful? IDK
Regarding was it made for an AMC? Yes, but its a generic setup with an AMC base. It provides three 15 degree positions and then one other that is approximately 180 degrees from one of the other 3 positions.
Sorry, I linked the wrong starter--its correct now. I should have gone with the 360 degree mini instead of this one--maybe?
Last edited by rocklaurence on Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Mopar_guy wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:38 pm Nobody's kicking him. It's just information for the next guy the way that I look at it.
True :D

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

It's always a good idea use the material fiber pipe wrap as heat shield near starter. (And on pipe near oil filters)
Electronics - wire, becomes "resistive' and degrades its continuity ability, to draw max ampere/volts thru it with constant excess HEAT from exhaust manifold and pipes on them!! Once wire material begins break down from thermal impact its conductive qualities doesn't reset, it only worsens.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Im happy with the starter. I havent noticed any heat soak and it is Waaay more powerful than any OEM style starter--So far
Starter is so powerful that I swear [and many believe its true] that the starter has lifted the driver's front tire a time or two :lol: