Fully Electric Wagoneer Build

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Fully Electric Wagoneer Build

Post by Stuka »

1978J10REDWHITE wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:01 pm So then how far is the range for an elec FSJ?
How long to recharge it and how many recharge STOPS and how long are they, if I want to drive 800. miles to Yellowstone and back?
That depends entirely on what equipment is used in the conversion.

But many current cars can typically fast charge to 80% in around 15 minutes. Which is only a handful of minutes longer than a fuel stop. The last 20% of a battery charge is slower, the last 5% is very slow. So the build in route planners take that into account, and will show you where to stop knowing you are using 80% of the battery instead of 100%. But this applies to gasoline cars too. I never drive my vehicle to empty. I am looking for a gas station when I hit 1/4 tank, if I hit 1/8 tank on a big trip, I start to be concerned.

Range really depend on battery pack size, and how the vehicle is setup. Obviously FSJ's are not very aero dynamic. And running mud tires or the like will hurt range. But I do know somebody with a Wrangler 4xE (plug-in hybrid), and in all electric mode, with 35's, she gets around 20 miles of range instead of the advertised 25 (at which point the gas engine kicks in).
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I looked at doing an electric conversion or a split turbine hybrid to an old Corolla for a commuter back in the day, but it just didn't make since because the parts were too much cash and the fuel was too cheap. Plus, it ran and if I took it apart it would have become another overly ambitious project that never finished. I had a friend with a degree in thermo dynamics helping with the split turbine and another EE helping with the electric side. They both lost interest when none of us had the gumption to give up a daily driver for the projects.

If I were going to do this on a 4x4, I would strongly consider ditching the stock axles, trans, and transfer case. They are unnecessary dead weight.

There was a company coming out with a 50 or 75 HP continuous rated direct drive motor around 2014 that used the wheel and disk brakes as part of the electric motor and that made it light. I am not sure if they are still around, but somebody ought to make such a thing available in kit form. 75 HP with electric torque is no joke. Plus, it went to almost 150 HP intermittent unlocked (heat output was an issue at that power level).

Such a set up would get you 4x4 without the weight of the axles, transfer case, and drive lines. Since electric motors don't care about RPM much, they don't really need most (possibly any) of that gearing.

An IFS rig with electric direct drive motors on the wheels would kick arse offroad. At least until the batteries ran out in the middle of nowhere. The extra travel would also be good to drop the height down while on-road for better aero and better range.

This is another one of those things that could nickle and dime you to death. You will need electric heat/ac and all the other components that are vacuum or mechanical will need to become electrical. If there is no kit that takes this into account a wrecked electric with this stuff in tact might be the best bet. Counterpoint: then you have to deal with the 1000's encrypted computers in the vehicle and the absolute fit that it will cause if any are missing.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

BaldBeardedBastard

Post by BaldBeardedBastard »

I'll just leave this here & I am not responsible for the hours lost wandering and coming up with different build ideas...

Www.evwest.com

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

'86 GW Cummins 2.8/4l60E. Hopefully bouncing down a dusty road somewhere.
Build Thread

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

regarding your powered accessories like brakes and power steering: newer cars use electric pumps, For instance, for my build with a modern Hemi, I also received a Volvo v40 electric powersteering pump. convert the steering to a hydro boost and you should be good. the only thing is that you need an electric airco / heater module. I know that the testla modules are also used to heat / cool the batteries and newer electric cars use heat pumps for that.

it will be a lot of tinkering and figuring out, but that's half the fun right?
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535