Popping! HELP!!

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

Popping! HELP!!

Post by FSJRomanGladiator »

Y’all I have learned so much from reading your threads. It truly has been the pillar to my build. I am way over due posting but here we are.

Application (Daisy) - 74 J10 Townside with a gen 1 350/Th400, Dana 20, Dana 44 front/rear

That said.. I have done a lot of work. This truck was in a pasture for years and needed love. My question is around steering. Every time I turn right or left (right before the full turning) it pops!

Before you diagnose- I have changed so much to the steering. Which I feel the problem lies. The J has new moog inner/outer Tie rods, tie rod ends, power steering box, power steering pump, skyjacker 4” lift springs and shocks. The tie rod to the pitman needs adjusting as it is 1/4” farther than older one.

Important to note that there was no popping before the tie rods, tie rod ends, and leafs added. I also adjusted the power steering box bc I had at least an inch play to each side. Only adjusted 1/8 of a turn. Feels much tougher and really like it. I know I prob need an alignment.

Any help would be appreciated.
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'15 Grand Cherokee 4X4 - Altitude - Blacked Out
'74 J10 - (restoring) 383 Stroker; TH400 Trans, Dana 44's 4.10 gear, Dana 20 TC. 4" Lift from Skyjacker;

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Popping! HELP!!

Post by Stuka »

Its most likely the the bushings in the rear spring eyes. Quite often (every lift I have owned on an FSJ) those bushings arent wide enough, so when you turn, the slide back and forth. I end up adding some large flat washing to take up the space and stop them from doing it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

Stuka wrote:Its most likely the the bushings in the rear spring eyes. Quite often (every lift I have owned on an FSJ) those bushings arent wide enough, so when you turn, the slide back and forth. I end up adding some large flat washing to take up the space and stop them from doing it.

Ahhh! Very possible. I noticed the gap when installing and meant to address. I’ll test and see if they move. That would be ideal solution as it is an easy fix. Image

I’ll report back.

'74 J10 - (restoring) 383 Stroker; TH400 Trans, Dana 44's 4.10 gear, Dana 20 TC. 4" Lift from Skyjacker;

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

FSJRomanGladiator wrote:
Stuka wrote:Its most likely the the bushings in the rear spring eyes. Quite often (every lift I have owned on an FSJ) those bushings arent wide enough, so when you turn, the slide back and forth. I end up adding some large flat washing to take up the space and stop them from doing it.

Ahhh! Very possible. I noticed the gap when installing and meant to address. I’ll test and see if they move. That would be ideal solution as it is an easy fix. Image

I’ll report back.

After looking at the front leaf springs - rear eyelid - the gap is filled. I forgot that the bushing provided fill in that gap. They have a thicker head.

The shackle is where the gap I forgot to address. That being said - still have not found problem. More diagnosing this weekend.

What I did notice is that when I turn the truck in a parked or stopped position (in place) the front of truck body (noticeable when watching side of truck above wheel well) moves opposite of turn. Almost as if I am lifting in that side then slowly lowers when I begin to turn the other way.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

@Stuka

How much truth is this to maybe to my problem. Doing some research and countless amount of time sitting in front of my J - I am wondering if this could be the issues.

Re: Turning and getting a squat on opposite side - Since my tie rods aren't level anymore, the steering input pulls against the suspension pulling that corner down.

I know the tie rods on my truck have a pretty good angle on them, but if I wanted to fix - it would be to lower the center link (on a the pitman arm). Thoughts?

Re: popping - Since the rear eye lids are snug, I think the credit is to good ol’ settling. All the new parts, flexing position of tie rods angles and pitman arm (bc tie rod is now angled more) - maybe the popping is just parts experiencing new areas?

What I noticed this weekend is that the popping appears not to be consistent. I used to be at park position or sitting still in drive and you would hear when turning. Now that is gone and it’s when I am driving at low speeds. Have not had the guts to go over 15mph - in fear of breaking something.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Slight leaning left to right as you turn is a function of having caster on the front axle and is normal. This what what makes your steering return to center when you let go of the wheel.

When you have somebody else turn the wheel, do you see anything move when the pop happens?
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

Stuka wrote:Slight leaning left to right as you turn is a function of having caster on the front axle and is normal. This what what makes your steering return to center when you let go of the wheel.

When you have somebody else turn the wheel, do you see anything move when the pop happens?
Thanks for the reply sir. Leaning makes sense and thanks for the learn.

I did when it popped in drive or park and nothing appeared to move. Tried to chase down sound but now it seems only when i drive and turn. This is harder because truck is moving.

I might strap a camera to it and see if that helps. Hmmm really stumped. First rig/build. Lesson learned on doing a bunch at same time - harder to find what is making sound. Image

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

Popping! HELP!!

FSJRomanGladiator wrote:
Stuka wrote:Slight leaning left to right as you turn is a function of having caster on the front axle and is normal. This what what makes your steering return to center when you let go of the wheel.

Thanks for the reply sir. Leaning makes sense and thanks for the learn.

I did when it popped in drive or park and nothing appeared to move. Tried to chase down sound but now it seems only when i drive and turn. This is harder because truck is moving.

I might strap a camera to it and see if that helps. Hmmm really stumped. First rig/build. Lesson learned on doing a bunch at same time - harder to find what is making sound. Image

@staka

Check out the front upper bushing pass side. Think this is the culprit for both issues.

Thoughts?

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au59uyRK_vr6h78gDue5ydfjAxnu7A

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

That is a lot of movement. Since that's a factory shackle, I am going to go out on a limb and say the bushing is just a wheee bit deteriorated. You can get new bushings for it though, which should tighten that up a lot.

Oh, and I have done the GoPro under the jeep before to track sounds and clunks down. As long as you mount it well, should work great.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

Stuka wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:41 pm That is a lot of movement. Since that's a factory shackle, I am going to go out on a limb and say the bushing is just a wheee bit deteriorated. You can get new bushings for it though, which should tighten that up a lot.

Oh, and I have done the GoPro under the jeep before to track sounds and clunks down. As long as you mount it well, should work great.
oh sir "whee bit deteriorated" is an under statement. :P Honestly having a hard time finding just the bushings. seems the bushings labled "upper" is for the front eyelid for the leaf. I did find a set of new shackles w/bushings for under $70/pair. might go that route.

https://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/leaf- ... 1974-1991/

RE: camera - once I get her driving - i am investing in one. my phone had to do for now :)

I am finally feeling like I can drive her soon. Its been just over a year and from not running to where I am at. I can taste how close I am.

Thanks again for your help.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

For the bushings, you just need to get a universal one that has the right diameter. But you then need a press to get the old ones out and the new ones in. And the old ones may have to be cut out. Would be way less work to go with the whole new shackle.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

Stuka wrote:For the bushings, you just need to get a universal one that has the right diameter. But you then need a press to get the old ones out and the new ones in. And the old ones may have to be cut out. Would be way less work to go with the whole new shackle.
Agreed. I appreciate the knowledge. Shackles are good and prob sell them and make some money back.

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

@stuka so as usual your knowledge is on point. I replaced the shackles today. new ones from TeamGrandWagoneer.com. NO POPPING and handles so much better. no frame movement like before. Thanks again.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Good to hear!
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

Hey ya'll i have searched high and low on FSJnetwork for a post that someone shared. They posted screenshot from amazon on the correct shackle bushings. they were cheap and i would get it fast. Working on the rear and would like to reuse those shackles. They are beefer than the replacements. Looking for the size really. i measured it was roughly 2.5" length.

Also would rubber replacement provide a softer ride then the poly?

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

i found the rear bushing for the shackle. I have the the original parts book for my 74. I just learned how to use it. :shock: This works for 75 as well.
J5352659- Summit sells it

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cwa-j5352659

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

One thing to be aware of is that there was two different post sizes used in 74-75. Be sure to measure yours.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

Stuka wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:06 am One thing to be aware of is that there was two different post sizes used in 74-75. Be sure to measure yours.
Correct as always. Thanks Stuka! Here is a screen shot of the two part numbers. If those who do not know, just put a "J" in front of the number and take out the space. Helps me find the part number faster.

Two sizes are

1 - 13/16" (J921055)
2- 3/64" (J5352659)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.