What to do about cut wires?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ArchitectJS

What to do about cut wires?

Post by ArchitectJS »

Previous owner left a mess of cut wires under the hood when he changed the carb and did the Nutter bypass. As noted earlier, I'm about to move the Cherokee to fuel injection.

I want to cleanup all the mess. Can I remove all these wires from the block on the firewall? Or, should I save them for some unknown, future reason, that I may not be aware of? Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

tgreese

Re: What to do about cut wires?

Post by tgreese »

Can you? Sure. Should you? It's up to you. You can follow the wires back to their connectors and remove them by releasing them from the plastic shell with a small sharp instrument, like a dental pick or jeweler's screwdriver. There is a tab in the brass terminal that locks it in the shell. Remove the redundant wires, toss in a plastic bag and stow them away. You could remove the unneeded block on the firewall too, I suppose. The TSM will show you what it all does and whether it's needed or not.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Don't start poking around from the engine side.

Have to demate the connector and use the probe from the mating side to release the terminal.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

Thanks for the replies.

The final page in my TSM is W1, Wiring Diagram Index. Doh!
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift