Heater Core Help!

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

Heater Core Help!

Post by FSJRomanGladiator »

FSJ Family - Having some leaking issues from my heater core box and hoses. I already reversed flushed it and although it helped the leaking, it appeared again and did not solve all of my issues. So here we go on another part and adventure. I love it though - who am I kidding?

I going through the original TSM and found this page (13-3).

Need help on a few items....

1. Where does the blue and green tubes go from the vacuum storage tank?

Ya’ll probably wondering why I am asking but I do not have the original engine under the hood. My tubes are plugged at the moment. My engine is a gen 1 - 350 from a 77 Camaro. Also why is it under the “Heater and Defroster” section?

2. Has Anyone remove their heater core on their FSJ? Mine is a ‘74. Looking at it, there are probably over 20 screws and wondering if I have to remove all of them or if there are specific ones. Any pictures of their own marked up would be awesome.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
'15 Grand Cherokee 4X4 - Altitude - Blacked Out
'74 J10 - (restoring) 383 Stroker; TH400 Trans, Dana 44's 4.10 gear, Dana 20 TC. 4" Lift from Skyjacker;

SJTD

Re: Heater Core Help!

Post by SJTD »

Vacuum storage. Seem funny to have a tank to store nothing.

Anyway, one goes to the control, the other goes to the source of nothing. In other words, the manifold. Should be a check valve between the manifold and the tank. Flow would be toward the manifold.

They all gotsta come out. At least you don't have to remove the housing from the firewall.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

SJTD wrote:Vacuum storage. Seem funny to have a tank to store nothing.

Anyway, one goes to the control, the other goes to the source of nothing. In other words, the manifold. Should be a check valve between the manifold and the tank. Flow would be toward the manifold.

They all gotsta come out. At least you don't have to remove the housing from the firewall.

Thank you! Sucks on taking all those out. Once I do - easy from there? What should I expect besides coolant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'74 J10 - (restoring) 383 Stroker; TH400 Trans, Dana 44's 4.10 gear, Dana 20 TC. 4" Lift from Skyjacker;

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Expect a lot of debris accumulated in there. Also maybe expect problems finding the right core if it needs replacement. I've read of others getting the wrong one.

This may be a good time to stick a vacuum down through the cowl to get all the debris behind the fresh air vents if you haven't already done it. Then a hose to flush out the dirt.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

Awesome advice. Purchase one from rockauto. Let’s see if it’s the same as old.

Here we gooooo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eldog22

Post by Eldog22 »

The Spectra core from Rockauto is the wrong size. Too thin and too short. I just replaced mine with one from a radiator place that fit perfect. I'll try to find a link

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

Eldog22 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:32 am The Spectra core from Rockauto is the wrong size. Too thin and too short. I just replaced mine with one from a radiator place that fit perfect. I'll try to find a link
Good to know. I heard the Spectra one is also aluminum and it has a short shelf life :(

I went with one from RockAuto and it arrived yesterday. After taking out the blower and box - i was able to size it up with the old one and it looks like the same. The inlet and outlet are a tad longer but that doesn't influence anything for me negatively. I went with this one.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 8&jsn=2160

Eldog22

Post by Eldog22 »

This is the one you want. APDI #9010085

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

sweet! that is the one in the link above. Thanks!

Eldog22

Post by Eldog22 »

Actually its different if you check out the sizes. By about a 1/2" both ways

Eldog22

Post by Eldog22 »

Nevermimd. Maybe they just list the size wrong on Rockauto. That is the right part number though

Eldog22

Post by Eldog22 »

Nevermimd. Maybe they just list the size wrong on Rockauto. That is the right part number though

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

Eldog22 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:50 am Actually its different if you check out the sizes. By about a 1/2" both ways
So this is a great call out. The heater core is identical - except for the fact is is 1/2 in thinner. The ports line up ( a little larger but i like that. hose can go further in), height is same and depth.

I'll have to try later but the clip that goes on top might not fit on new one. i'll see and report back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

So the clip fits around, just loose. I am guessing it is just old b/c it had a similar resistance with the old one. End of day have - I'll have to manipulate a tad to get the clip snug.

Did you end up with the same heater core? how did yours look/feel?

Eldog22

Post by Eldog22 »

The one I got was the same exact size as the one I took out. I say that cuz I cant guarantee that it was still the original heater core but i believe it was. These are the measurements.

Eldog22

Post by Eldog22 »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
FSJRomanGladiator

Eldog22 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:09 pm The one I got was the same exact size as the one I took out. I say that cuz I cant guarantee that it was still the original heater core but i believe it was. These are the measurements.
thank you sir!