Driveshaft Work

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
FLeetFox

Driveshaft Work

Post by FLeetFox »

I'm putting this out there as a question to anyone who's had driveshaft work done.

So I need to alter the lengths on my driveshafts. Shorten the rear and Lengthen the front. The two machine shops I use can do the tube work, but can't balance them when they are done. The 2 heavy truck shops here in town will balance them, but at their standard mechanics rates. These run well north of $100 an hour, min 1 hour. So it almost seems that the price would be equivalent to having custom driveshafts built, like Tom Woods or the like.

Question is, I feel like I'm missing some middle ground here. Yes, I've put a lot of money into this project, but dropping around $700 on driveshafts just feels.. wasteful. I need balanced driveshafts, it's not a trailered trail rig.

Tell me about your experiences here please.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Driveshaft Work

Post by Stuka »

All the driveshafts I have had done for my FSJ's has been via a local drive shaft shop. I think the last one I had done was about $380. That was 100% new everything, spin balanced and so on.

The last drive shaft I actually got was for my old 2dr JK, and I got it from Tom Woods. Was awesome quality, made it exactly to my specs, and it was I think $520 to my door and included a new transfer case yoke to get rid of the rzippa joint.

They will build a drive shaft to whatever length, tube diameter, and u-joints you want. So if you do not have a local drive shaft shop, you can check them out. You will need at least one new shaft for the one that needs to be longer. Yes you can just have a new tube put in, but then you are stuck with an old worn out double carden joint.

The rear you can get away with just shortening and re-welding the end piece on as long as its in good shape. But be sure to check the slip joint and make sure its ok.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Thanks Stuka. I am reaching out to Tom Woods for the front driveshaft already, the one I have is trash and not even worth rebuilding. The prices you paid sound about right to me also. I guess I will take the rear down to the heavy truck place, get an estimate and compare that with the price of a Woods new one. If the prices are relative, I'll go with the new one. I'd like more travel in the slip joint than stock given my 6" lift and 35s. Appreciate the color. Will post here with the final outcome.

Fleet Fox

MReese Wagoneer

Post by MReese Wagoneer »

How close are you to Knoxville, My son had a shaft built by a guy in Knoxville I can get his name , did great work while he waited basically and showed him what he was doing
:fsj:
New 83 Wagoneer Brougham
old 99 Grand Cherokee Limited
http://www.mandgoilandlube.com

will e

Post by will e »

Here in Phoenix there are several shops available. I have used the local shops and also Tom Woods. The prices between Tom and the local shops is comparable. Tom's quality is better.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

M.Reese, it's a good ways, but I appreciate the offer. In the coming weeks I'll price both options, and post back here.

Will E. you're lucky there in Phoenix with all the desert racers around. Great supply chain and network. Have you ever been over to Lowell Arnold's and viewed his race Honcho?

Fleet Fox