Hydroboost on 68 Wagoneer

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jhartings

Hydroboost on 68 Wagoneer

Post by jhartings »

Hello all,

I am converting an old 1969 Wagoneer vacuum brake boost system (Buick 350) to a hydroboost brake system. The owner before me has already upgraded to a front disk brake setup but still the Waggy has no stopping power.

I have done a lot of research and read multiple threads here. I have a 95 Astro van hydroboost in hand, but am wondering how do you mount the hydroboost to the firewall? Do you:

A. Remove the old vacuum boost and reuse the original vacuum boost to firewall brackets? This way looks simple but the new hydroboost input rod looks too short... I would think you would need to extend it two inches or so.

Or

B. Remove the vacuum boost and remove all the original firewall brackets, then simply drill/bolt the Astro hydroboost straight to the firewall?

Renodemona

Re: Hydroboost on 68 Wagoneer

Post by Renodemona »

Uh, well, probably B as I doubt the brake pedal linkage and booster was the same. If it is the same then it *should* bolt up but I don't know anything about astro vans so I can't say if they are the same or not.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

ibrokethat2

Post by ibrokethat2 »

I put hydroboost on my 72 using the hydroboost unit off of a 2007 chevy avalanche, I built a bracket to bolt to the firewall in the original location and with a mounting plate for the hydroboost unit on the other end.
20200223_193613 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
jhartings

Post by jhartings »

Thanks ibrokethat2. I am installing soon.

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

Search on ebay for Jeep hydroboost conversion brackets. There is a guy who goes by Elliot on the forums that makes the correct length bracket to allow you to bolt the hydrboost to the firewall without drilling anything and he will space it out correctly so that the pushrod is the correct length. Those pushrods can travel too far and trash the hydroboost if you make it too long.
1970 J4000 / Chevy Frankenstein in progress
Soon to be Lq4 6.0 and 4l80e on 35s