1990 grand Wagoneer tailgate window switch

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Jdm1990gw

1990 grand Wagoneer tailgate window switch

Post by Jdm1990gw »

I’m stumped. My dash switch for the tailgate window works. It rolls the window up and down fine. My switch on the actual tailgate didn’t. So I replaced the tailgate switch with one from Team Grand Wagoneer. It still doesn’t work but the dash switch still works. What am I missing? Question number 2 is I did the Durango wiper motor conversion and I can’t get it working. I tried 2 different wiper motors thinking that might be it but i was guaranteed the second one would work. I can hear the relay working so I don’t know what’s going on. Anyone know what I’m doing wrong?

dodgerammit

Re: 1990 grand Wagoneer tailgate window switch

Post by dodgerammit »

Have you tested the switch to verify continuity?
Does the switch actually get tripped when turning the key?
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

If, as mentioned above, the switch is being actuated and is good you have an electrical problem.

The tailgate window motor is grounded through the dash switch. The dash switch works so you don't have a ground problem.

That leaves a power problem. The tailgate switch gets its power through an orange wire from the circuit breaker in the fuse panel. This breaker also feeds the door locks. If they work the breaker is ok.

If you don't have power you could try swapping the the two breakers. The front breaker also feeds the window motors.

If the door locks work you need to find where the orange wire to the tailgate looses its power. There's a connector behind the bumper.

Up front this circuit doesn't go through the big bulkhead connector on the firewall. I think it goes through the cable that goes through the firewall with a connector a few inches inside the engine compartment.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

StretchinSD

Post by StretchinSD »

Jdm1990gw wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:59 pm I’m stumped. My dash switch for the tailgate window works. It rolls the window up and down fine. My switch on the actual tailgate didn’t. So I replaced the tailgate switch with one from Team Grand Wagoneer. It still doesn’t work but the dash switch still works. What am I missing? Question number 2 is I did the Durango wiper motor conversion and I can’t get it working. I tried 2 different wiper motors thinking that might be it but i was guaranteed the second one would work. I can hear the relay working so I don’t know what’s going on. Anyone know what I’m doing wrong?
The wiring for the tailgate comes from underneath the vehicle and into the tailgate. When you open the tailgate you should see a set of wires on the left side going into the tailgate. I would make sure none of those wires are broken. I had two wires that were broken causing the tailgate switch not to work and also causing the license plate light not to work. There was a wire that had a constant 12 volts even with the ignition off, I believe red with a white tracer, that wire was broken. The dash switch would work but not the tailgate switch. Once I spliced the wire back together it worked.

Topic author
Jdm1990gw

Post by Jdm1990gw »

Alright update on the tailgate switch you guys were right. The red/yellow wire was no good so I spliced in a new one. It fixed the window switch “kinda” and it solved my rear wiper problem. I said “kinda” because now I have to figure out why the tailgate switch will roll the window down but not back up