Dual Fuel Fill Ports

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
THERMOQUAD

Dual Fuel Fill Ports

Post by THERMOQUAD »

Hi,
I,m new to this site, but I thought I would share some of the custom mods I'm doing to my 1977 Cherokee "S" wide track. I have owned the Jeep for a few years, but have only recently started a restoration and build up on it. I'm going to install an auxiliary fuel tank where the spare tire used to go under the rear cargo area and I wanted two matching fuel fill ports next to each other to fill each tank individually.
The fuel ports on Cherokees, as most of you probably know, is stamped into the left rear quarter. So I found a Cherokee in a local salvage yard that had been badly damaged and mostly picked clean of parts, but was almost perfectly straight in the fuel port area and they let me cut the fuel port out. There is just enough room between the original fuel port and the rear side marker light to easily fit a second fuel port in and let me tell you, cutting a hole the size of a grapefruit in a perfectly straight 42 year old quarter panel is not for the faint of heart, but here is how I did it step by step in pictures.
Well, it would be step by step in pictures, but I can't figure out how to attach the pics. Every time I try to attach a picture it says "file to large"
so can anyone please tell me how to shrink them down or what I need to do to be able to attach them. THANKS

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Dual Fuel Fill Ports

Post by Stuka »

Welcome to the forum.

For the images, because storage isn't free, I limit how large an image can be, so you would need to shrink them down some. Or, you can use a site like imgur or Flickr to upload your photos too, and then past the links to them here inside img tags and they will be displayed.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
THERMOQUAD

Post by THERMOQUAD »

Well, I had to shrink the dog out of these pics, but it looks like they are going to post to the page now. The new auxiliary fuel port welded in real clean and straight and if you notice in the final pic the shadow cast by the sun is only off by about 1/16" from one to the other. Thanks for the help stuka !
fullsizeoutput_80b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_7fd.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_803.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_7ff.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_800.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by THERMOQUAD on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
THERMOQUAD

Post by THERMOQUAD »

fullsizeoutput_802.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_808.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_809.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_80a.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Looks really good.

On my '84 I welded the stock cup, that had been riveted, to the back of the panel resulting in filler around the edge. Should have done it like you did.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
THERMOQUAD

Post by THERMOQUAD »

Thanks for the input SJTD, I am really happy with the way it turned out and now I will have a total fuel capacity of 42 gallons if I want it/need it.
I'm also installing a fuel level gauge for each tank on the dash and a 3 way fuel valve for Tank 1, Tank 2 and Fuel Off.