NP229 Cable activated to replace vacuum

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Theduke

NP229 Cable activated to replace vacuum

Post by Theduke »

1989 Grand Wagoneer with a broken Vacuum motor/actuator for the NP229.
I've seen the twin stick option but was wondering if anyone has used a push/pull cable to engage the 4wd on the NP229.
My thought was to leave the Hi-Neutral-Low lever as is and run a push/pull cable mounted where the current vacuum switch is for the 2wd/4wd. I might even use a knob similar to the ones that control the vents to give it a stock like appearance.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of mod and any recommendations on a supplier and cable diameter for this purpose?
Thanks,
Weston
1989 Grand Wagoneer
AMC360 TF727 NP229

tgreese

Re: NP229 Cable activated to replace vacuum

Post by tgreese »

No experience with this issue, but McMaster-Carr has universal locking and non-locking cables for control use. https://www.mcmaster.com/control-cable/ ... -cables-3/

Dorman also has choke control cables that could possibly work - much lighter duty though. https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch. ... hoke+cable
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

When my vacuum motor fell apart recently I had the same thought about converting to the cable setup, but I didn’t find any suitable (for me) way to install it and keep stock appearance. Ended up buying vacuum motor from a member here and replacing it

If you decide to go with cable conversion, please share your results!
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Look at MacMastercar and Fastenal for the cables. They have cables, knobs, brackets etc and I imagine a nice setup could be put together. Also check, Lokar for cables--Im sure they have something that could be adapted.