Wiring HEI need help ASAP!!!!!!!!

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Wiring HEI need help ASAP!!!!!!!!

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Ok guys, putting out an emergency call for help. I’ve sold Walter (91 grand waggy) and removed the fuel injection. I’m putting it back together enough to run to get on/off the transportation truck but need help!
Everything is in place but in the interest of saving time trying to find/rewrite all the stuff I previously removed, I decided to swap in an HEI distributor I had. Can anyone please tell me where to put the two wires from the dizzy? One says batt + and the other says coil. I tried the batt to the pos side of the starter solenoid and the coil to the starter lug (key start) but it fried the starter solenoid.
Help!!!
Clock is ticking and the truck comes this afternoon. I HAVE to get this thing running!!
*begs for fast help!!!*

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Wiring HEI need help ASAP!!!!!!!!

Post by Stuka »

There should just be one wire. The coil is inside the distributer. Normally there is a tach wire, and a power wire.

The power wire should go to switched (run/start) 12V. I have mine wired up to the big heavy gauge red wire that used to go to the duraspark box. You don't want to make it go to the solinoid.

You can probably use the power lead that powered your ECU, as that should also be on run/start.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You should only need to give it switched power. The other wire may be a tach wire. No instructions for the HEI distributor? Do you have a brand that you can look up?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Thanks guys... I was getting stressed as the transport is on the way and it has to run. I put out a call to Derf (formerly of truck Norris) and he talked me in. Walter is moving under his own power again. Soon to be off to a new home. Thanks again for the help guys!!