J10 with SOA

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
wbg

J10 with SOA

Post by wbg »

Just bought an 83 J10 that has a soa conversion already done. The leaf springs look old and original. Its got 35" tires already on it. I'd like it a little higher if possible without making any changes to the drive shaft etc. In other words i want fast, easy additional height, but just a couple inches with new springs.

Can i install a 3" rough country lift without causing other work for myself?
What would you do?

Thanks fellas for any input...

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: J10 with SOA

Post by Stuka »

First, welcome to the forum.

Typically an SOA gives around 6-7 inches of lift. But it sounds like those springs may be worn and sagged. Which means 3" lift springs, may give you more like 4". Which means you are looking at 10+ inches of lift. Front drive shaft gets tricky with that much.

What is your end goal for the truck? Installing new stock height springs might give you a bit more lift than where you are now, but is hard to know for sure.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
wbg

Post by wbg »

My end goal is just a little more off the 35" tires. I know that doesn't mean a whole lot, because i can't tell you how high it is. Compared to pictures I've seen of other J10's with 35" tires, mine looks like it may have 4" of lift?
I'm thinking like you said, maybe the old springs are weak and need replacing. Now i need to decide whether to try to go with stock springs or maybe a 2" - 3" lift?

What would you do for a little more simple lift?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Any photos? That could help a lot.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Ive added two leafs from a '90s Ford Explorer rear springs for 1.5" of lift. You should be able to get a set of 2.5" wide springs at a yard for $50 and add a few leafs to your pack and it wont stiffin the ride much.

will e

Post by will e »

I added SOA to my rig. I used the existing springs which were probably stock. Here's the truck as purchased, I am guessing it had 31" tires but I don't recall. The guy that sold it to me kept the tires if I remember correctly.

Here it is with stock springs, SOA and SF. No blocks. 35" tires. I don't recall that it rubbed much. This was 2009 right after I had put the rig together.

It developed a bad case of 'death wobble', although it was more like a 'dance'. Here it is 2 years later with the same springs.

I replace them shortly after this trip. I ordered springs from Alcan and requested a 1" lift over stock. I also informed them that I went spring over in the front. This is about a year after getting the new springs.

Eventually I swapped the axles with tons and put on 37" tires. They rub. Partly because the tons are wider than the stock axles. I continue to
'trim' the fenders to reduce the rubbing. You can see the springs flattened a little. Partly because I have a bunch of 'stuff' in the back of the jeep now. And in the front a winch and second battery added to the weight.

I don't know if this helps you much since you have a J10. Our front fenders are the same. I think you will be disappointed if you go with a 3" lift. It will be a bit too high.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
wbg

Post by wbg »

Thanks for the replies fellas

Stuka, I'm away from the truck for a couple of days, but i'll post some asap - thanks

Topic author
wbg

Post by wbg »

Unable to attach an image of my truck due to attachment requirements required by the forum. My main concern and end goal was to possibly lift it a little more but only if I could do it without any complicated modifications such as drive shaft changes etc..

Has anybody on here done a soa conversion plus a lift kit without it being more complicated?

My intensions were to buy a stock J10 and install a 6" lift kit but ended up purchasing this J10 that already had the soa conversion.

This J10 has leaf springs and shocks front and back.

Thanks,

will e

Post by will e »

Usually a SOA/SF require a longer drive shaft. So they may already be lengthened. Best bet it to take a look and see how much compression is available and then pull off one end and measure how much extension you have. Since the rig is modified any thing else would just be a guess.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
wbg

Post by wbg »

The front differential isn't angled correctly and the shaft is sticking out pretty far. Looks like it's probably too far out. How do I know what shims to buy and what angle to create?

Thanks,

Topic author
wbg

Post by wbg »

Any suggested YouTube videos on the subject?

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

You dont want to use the Front Drive shaft to set your front pinion angle. You'll need to set front Caster via a digital Angle Finder from the bottom spindle joint. Once thats done, have a drive shaft built as needed.

Topic author
wbg

Post by wbg »

The front pinion is pretty much horizontal / pointing straight back towards the rear of the truck. The front shaft is a two piece shaft. Right now the inside section of the shaft is pulled out of the outside section about two inches. If I use the angle finder to set the pinion angle, how much of the inside shaft can stick out. In other words, what's the minimum amount of the spline portion of the shaft that needs to be inserted into the outside shaft tube so that torque won't twist / strip or break the shaft off ?