Gladiator Grill Swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
CoachKnight

Gladiator Grill Swap

Post by CoachKnight »

I have a friend who is selling a Gladiator Grill. My question is: Can I swap this into my 1975 Jeep Wagoneer? I recall seeing posts about this but can't find them now.

will e

Re: Gladiator Grill Swap

Post by will e »

Yes. The mounting tabs are should still be in place (they were on my 82 Cherokee).
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
CoachKnight

Post by CoachKnight »

So direct swap, very easy to do. No mods needed?

will e

Post by will e »

You might need to do something with the light buckets. Mine were square so I had to get round ones and some rings. I am not sure what's on yours.

There may also be some mounting tabs for the old grill that you'll want to remove.

And it's probably not painted behind the current grill. Some folks color match, others just paint the entire area black.

Also, on my 83, the stock transmission cooler stuck out too far with the stock bracket. I removed it (and still have an aftermarket unit sitting in the cabinet waiting to be installed...)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

The hood shape where it meets the grille isn't quite right. Bugged the ell outa me so I didn't do it. Went with the razor instead.

At this time I like the razor better anyway. Who knows how I'll feel tomorrow.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, hoods for the Rhino were specific to the rhino. When the rhino went away, AMC only made the Razor hood only. Down the road the hood bar was removed, but the hood design stayed the same.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Mine is period correct with a rhino but I used a later square headlight header panel due to excessive rot on my original. It definitely is noticeable near the hood area but not as bad with the correct hood as it was when I had a later model hood on it. There are tabs that will be noticeable where the original grille mounted, the headlights will have slightly exposed notches because the round doesnt cover completely where it was cutout for squares, and there isnt enough material for using 4 screws on the pie pans, you can only mount them with 2 screws unless you add some material behind them for the other 2. It doesnt look terrible but its noticable if you know what you are looking at 99% of people that see the vehicle wont even know what they are looking at so do what makes you happy. Rhinos rule. Go for it. You could always keep your eyes out for an early header panel and swap that in the future. Also just my opinion but if you do it go with the earlier marker lights, they look better with that setup. The cats eye markers are super easy to make LED. All of this is just from personal experience. Results may vary
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Here are a few pics of a later square headlight panel with an early hood for reference. Not enough to irritate me but enough I notice it. No one that has ever seen the truck in person has commented on it so I say dont worry about it and go for the swap. I DID remove the tabs from the later grille down low when I painted it. I think those 2 bolts under the driver side pie pan are for horns? I dont have oem horns so I'm not sure really what they were for. Just kinda there on mine ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.