J20 Race shift kit and TCI converter installation

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: J20 Race shift kit and TCI converter installation

Post by rocklaurence »

Yay!! I finally called B&M to get their input on why my shifter Detents are off. We'll, with me looking at the Installation on my computer and him looking at the Co' instructions, we found out that I was following old instructions. Everything that I had--could find said to set up the First Gear position. Then set the Park position and find a Happy medium between the two to have everything work. The new instructions state to set up Reverse, then Nuetral and last Drive while adjusting the Cable position jam nuts to fine tune it between the 3 positions. It worked!! Now it functions like it should and I dont have to hunt for Gear Positions. How nice is it to have a J20 with a Sharp-hard shifting TF727!!
Last edited by rocklaurence on Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yay!! I finally called B&M to get their input on why my shifter Detents are off. We'll with me looking at the Installation on my computer and him looking at the Co' instructions, we found out that I was following old instructions. Everything that I had/ could find said to set up first the First Gear position. Then set the Park position and find a Happy medium between the two to have everything work. The new instructions state to set up Reverse, then Nuetral and last Drive while adjusting the Cable position jam nuts to fine tune it between the 3 positions. It worked!! Now it functions like it should and I dont have to hunt for Gear Positions. How nice is it to have a J20 with a Sharp-hard shifting TF727!!

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Glad you got that figured out. I switched to Winters/Art Carr shifters many years ago and couldn't be happier, used them on several builds. I modify the gates so I can go from 1st to reverse in 1 motion and have a spot to hold each gear. They are robust and simple.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909