J20 Race shift kit and TCI converter installation

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

J20 Race shift kit and TCI converter installation

Post by rocklaurence »

I should have posted sooner but I was more concerned with making the videos. So, heres the plan. First, I installed a TF1 TransGo kit in the Ugly Truck years ago. It provided more shift control and eliminated the Leak-down issue [where the first engagement after start up is delayed because the fluid empties from the valve body]. However, it didnt provide much in regard to snappier shifts. That's why I decided to go with a TF2 race shift kit. It is quite involved and has a lot of steps. Second, I wanted to add a higher converter Stall to the TF 727 transmission. Whenever I tow, I manually shift the trans' to keep it over 2000 rpm. It performs so much better that way. Adding a TCI Saturday Night Special will raise the stall to 1800/2000 rpm. With the gears and tire combo'--stall [2000] will be at 45 mph. Ive always run a large Trans-fluid cooler. So, Im not concerned about heat.
That's the plan. Ill add some quick posts to get caught up. Presently, the TF2 is done and Im waiting on TCI to provide the converter--its on back order.
Last edited by rocklaurence on Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: J20 Race shift kit and TCI converter installation

Post by rocklaurence »

I started with the truck on the lift and removed the Valve Body to start the TF2 shift kit. First, it all comes apart easily and Dodge used 3 sizes of fasteners making it almost impossible to put the wrong fastener in the wrong place. Second, the instructions that come with the kit are detailed but dont flow well when reading them. I found it very important to read the process, identify it on the valve body and read it again before performing the step. Also, there are Notes in the steps that pertain to future steps. I found it best to add my own notes to the future steps to prevent confusion at those steps. Third, once your certain that a step has been completed correctly, add a check/star to that step to keep track of your progress. Fortunately for me I have a spare transmission to take apart to get to some of the parts needed [the kit instructions don't cover trans' disassembly]. A good example of this is removing the LR piston. It's assumed that you know how to remove it. I had to look it up on Google and its much better to practice on a spare trans. Fourthly, you will have to remove the transmission from the vehicle. It says that it can all be done with it installed but believe me its easier to remove and work on the LR piston on a bench. Lastly, perform all the steps correctly, mark them off on the instructions and then review the instructions to make sure you didn't miss any steps. Check it, check again because you dont want to put it all back together in the vehicle and find out you didn't do something.
Last edited by rocklaurence on Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Another item that I addressed with the transmission was the cooler hard lines. A couple years ago I installed a Slap Stick shifter and the bracket never cleared the hard lines. This prevented me from being able to get it to shift exactly as it should. I had to notch and lower the bracket to make it somewhat work. So, during this project, I install a set of 1/8 npt x 3/8" hose fittings. I bored and tapered the fittings for better flow and will use braided transmission lines. Also, I wanted a deeper transmission pan and a temperature sensor. I purchase a 2 extra quart steel pan [I wasnt going to pay $200 for aluminum] and welded in a 1/8 npt bung into the pan for the temp' sensor. The gauge is going in place of the ash tray on the '87 dash.
Im still waiting on the TCI converter which is Back Ordered to July 17--maybe. I may install everything without the TCI converter because it may get pushed back even further.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I started a Detour yesterday. My old Craftsman tool boxes [two of them] POS wheels an casters prevent them from rolling and I wanted a mobile tool box to take to the work. I really like the larger boxes offered by Milwaukee/Harbor Freight but didn't need another box. So, I purchased 4 Heavy Duty casters [1 for each corner] and 2 HD rollers for the center. I built a platform to hold the two Craftsman tool boxes and added the Casters/ Rollers to the platform. Having the two center set of rollers 1" taller than the casters places the majority of the weight on the center making it REALLY Easy to rotate and steer the tools box! Now Im building a top that will span both tool boxes out of 3/4" wood with 1/8" sheet metal. The top will also have an angle iron tray on one side, handle-for steering, series of small holes for Impact gun fittings/tools. Plus, the steel top will be a good platform for the transmission jack etc. Im excited :D
Last edited by rocklaurence on Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

OK, I expect to start the installation of the transmission this week. Im not going to wait on the TCI--I dont know when it will arrive and I miss driving my FSJ. Ill comment as the project moves forward. My luck dictates that as soon as I get the transmission installed that the TCI will arrive. Maybe thats what I need to do to ensure the arrival of the TCI :D

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I made good progress last week. I had to wrestle the trans into position and got it mounted but then found out that the TC mounting holes weren't going to line up [theyre not symmetrical]. So, I had to move the trans back 1/4" from the engine to provide enough clearance to rotate the TC mount pads around until the holes lined up correct--time consuming PITA. However, after that, I installed the new deep pan and the kick-down linkages, dust covers, trans mount, Shifter cable. Next on the list, is to install the new cooler lines, vent tube, transfer case. Its getting close to Start UP!

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I was able to fabricate the two cooler lines yesterday. I purchased tubing on Amazon that has steel re-enforcement with braided sheeth on the outside. I applied shrink wrap at the ends to prevent fraying and added nylon loom to the rest to prevent chaffing. I decided to run the lines down the drivers side of the frame instead of crossing over the exhaust. One step closer

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I knew it! Sure enough, my TCI order has been filled/shipped. I said that if I install the transmission that the TCI converter would arrive. :D So, Ill sit on it for a week for the TC to arrive. At least I didn't get to the point to where it was on the ground and driving. :P

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Wow! The TCI is in town and should be delivered today :D Hopefully, it'll get installed this weekend.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

The TCI Saturday Night Special arrived Yesterday! I verified that its the 2000 stall part # and I plan on installing it this weekend :)
Im expecting faster acceleration and firmer shifts. I wonder if the Lame V8 will bark the 35" tires with the Cummins LS?

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I had to clean up/organize my shop. Its been a mess since I built the new tool box. Tools on the floor, on tables that need a new home because the mobile box isnt going to contain the Hardly Used Tools. Then I had to build a transmission cradle to give the trans some stability on the cart. With all the other necessary work I still got the trans removed. Maybe, Ill have the TCI and the transmission bolted up by Sunday--Maybe :cry:

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I have the first Shift Kit video up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF6pRMV5H9A

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I have the trans mounted, all the hoses, covers and linkages, starter and transfer case mounted. Ill need to install the cross member and a few other small things and then its time to add fluid.
Note: the new TCI used the outside series of mounting holes on the fly wheel. Do all AMC fly wheels have inner and outer mounting holes?

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Im finally done with the shift kit and TCI. Several things to note. First, It drives well and shifts much later under full throttle than before [>3500 rpm]. Second, it takes more throttle to get the truck moving because of the higher stall but then takes off like a Raped Ape. Third, the shifts are firm but not hard [a little disappointing for me]. Maybe its because of the tired engine and fat tires. Fourth, Im having issues getting the B&M Mega shifter to sync with the transmission. This was an issue before the upgrade. On the first adjustment it wouldnt activate the parking dog. I got that fixed but the shifter has an extra detent in the forward gears [two positions for 1st gear] . Best of all, no leaks. Ill enjoy that while it lasts.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I posted the J10 Shop Truck TCI converter install and test drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWYUBvlF7YM

mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

Do you have a th400, or tourque flight? I was thinking of upgrading from a hughes street rodder to a tci, the maximizer series sounds interesting.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Im running the TF 727 in a '87 J10.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Its been several months since I installed the TCI and Shift Kit and its time for a Project Up Date. First, I had to make a few adjustments to the Throttle/down shift linkage to get it where I liked the shifts and now it runs great. Second, with the added stall the truck seems much quicker and when towing it shifts later allowing the truck to stay higher in the RPM. This truck is so much more enjoyable with the higher stall and tows better. Third, around town the trans runs at 160-180 degrees and towing its always under 200. Lastly, the B&M shifter is a Turd! I havent been able to get the gates to work well with the TF727. Its really difficult/hit or miss to find Reverse. Its easy to miss regardless of which direction when shifting to Reverse. Weather is from Park-to-Reverse or Drive-to-Reverse. I think I need to call B&M and/or get a Lokar shifter
Last edited by rocklaurence on Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

dbx11

Post by dbx11 »

Yeah the lokar shift cable is a nice setup I tf2’d my 727 a while back and the lokar was logically better than the hard to find worn out bushing/rod setup it came with. The tv adjustment is sensitive and I read could burn up the fluid and frictions if not installed to spec so measure twice then drive! Also the cable requires tiny Allen wrenches that need to be kept in the vehicle for adjustments until you get it set right
Still need a hitch from you maybe Sooner than later.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I've been Cyphering the B&M shifter. My issues are related to the gate detents moving from Drive to Neutral/Reverse. From Park the gates/detents are correct but are almost 1 detent off in the other direction. I cant find an adjustment. So, Ill need to call B&M