East Coast LS Swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Spinnaker89

East Coast LS Swap

Post by Spinnaker89 »

Not sure if this is the right sub forum but anyone know a good cheap LS swap shop around North Carolina.

I feel its a little to big for me to take on myself as i have never pulled a motor or anything.

Not looking for show quaility just a good daily driver swap.

Cheapthrills

Re: East Coast LS Swap

Post by Cheapthrills »

I dont have a recomendation for you, not do I know you much less you financial situation, or emission regulations in your area. My suggestion would be if you are not sitting extremely comfortable financially to stick with what you have, maybe do a trans swap for a 700r4 for better mpg's .

Ls swaps are usually rittled drivability issues (stupid annoying stuff) that may leave you stranded if you aren't inclined to diagnose and improvise in a short amount of time. Emissions is a wholenother beast if your state is strict, as mine is in colorado (front range). If I where you ( and I think I am , lmfao). I'd rebuild stock equipment + tbi and swap to an overdrive transmission (early 700r4) and run it. Minnimal mods and all the mpgs of current tech

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Spinnaker89

Post by Spinnaker89 »

Cheapthrills wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:11 am I dont have a recomendation for you, not do I know you much less you financial situation, or emission regulations in your area. My suggestion would be if you are not sitting extremely comfortable financially to stick with what you have, maybe do a trans swap for a 700r4 for better mpg's .

Ls swaps are usually rittled drivability issues (stupid annoying stuff) that may leave you stranded if you aren't inclined to diagnose and improvise in a short amount of time. Emissions is a wholenother beast if your state is strict, as mine is in colorado (front range). If I where you ( and I think I am , lmfao). I'd rebuild stock equipment + tbi and swap to an overdrive transmission (early 700r4) and run it. Minnimal mods and all the mpgs of current tech

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Interesting take. Thanks for the info. Daily driver might have been a bad term as it will be my 3rd car. More looking for the drivability of a daily driver and why my thought was LSx. The reason as I was thinking swap was when I parked the Jeep a few month back it was already having some motor issues and need trans work. I figured the price tag between LSx and double rebuild (worst case scenario) would not be to far off. Thanks

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I went back stock on mine. The thread is in this sub group. Look for "planning a 360 motor build" by myself. The build is just finished (other than exhaust work) and I have the cost for the motor and transmission work totaled up. Mind you, I cherry picked my own parts and had balance work, forged pistons, positive seals, aftermarket intake and carb along with transmission goodies added. Total is just shy of $7K.

If going back stock, you could probably save $1K-1500 in expense.

A shop paid to do a LS swap is easily gonna run that and more.
Still, the power is gonna be more with a LS or LQ motor.
If set on the swap, your best bet is finding a wrecked 4x4 that is still mechanically sound and doesn't have a bunch of miles on it.

I agree, an OD swap will get you the same economy as a modern motor. It isn't the engine, it's the gearing that helps.

Also, a gear swap from 2.73s to 3.31s will also help with the "feel" of performance if your rig is running the 2.73 ratio like mine.
Again, it isn't the engine, it's the gearing.....
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD