Serehill Rear Tailgate window wiring and Relays

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
areeside

Serehill Rear Tailgate window wiring and Relays

Post by areeside »

Hey All,

I have found this thread where Rick was making these kits for the rear tailgate window to be remote operated: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1790

I was wondering if anyone has a kit they would sell me or has one on the shelf that could send pictures/wiring diagram. I saw in another thread that he passed and that possibly his son was making these. Does anyone have any info or leads?

Drew

riozilla

Re: Serehill Rear Tailgate window wiring and Relays

Post by riozilla »

This kit below can be installed to control your tailgate window (and locks) to open/close remotely. There are installation videos/instructions online also that I have seen:

https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Dakota-Digit ... _2137.html

Video of it working:
https://youtu.be/D8psvNC5ED8

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

There's also another guy or two on here making them. Look down in the Vendor section.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I built my own panel following Rick's diagrams. I bought a cheap harbor freight winch controller and wired it into the system to give me a remote. Any wireless winch controller will work really. I mounted everything to a piece of aluminum and attached magnets to the back of it and stuck it inside the tailgate. Doesn't move at all with the strength of the magnets. Re-wired everything to the battery and protected with breakers. Works great. Even wired in a secret switch so I will never lock myself out of the Chief by leaving the keys in it. Also modified my switch on the dash so it would work with the new system as well. There are posts on how to do that as well, can find them if you need them. Also bypassed the safety switch:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13549&p=179585&hil ... te#p179585

Feel free to message me if you need some help. I would encourage you to build one yourself. Pretty cheap and easy Saturday project IMO.

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

I recently added remote control for locks and tailgate, used the kit from DD that riozilla mentioned earlier. It’s a nice kit, has built in relays for two channels and 7 channels in total. More expensive, but I’d say it was worth it

My install was a bit of an afterthought since I put my own relay modules in doors, tailgate and locks couple month before I thought about remote. Because my relays are set up to work with unmodified tailgate switch, I had to figure out a way for DD remote to act like a factory switch instead of the way it does. Not difficult at all, just 2 more relays required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Zeppe807

Post by Zeppe807 »

Total newbie here. Just got my first and second waggy in the past month... weird. Anyways, does the DD system only affect the rear tailgate window and the front two door locks? What can be done to improve the side windows? They are all weak going up and down. My rear window got stuck down and I went for a ride and the glass came out of the track, so now I'm SOL and want to fix the tailgate window the first time correctly, but would love to get the side windows working too.

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

DD system is general purpose, it has 4 buttons on remote and 7 channels - channels 1-4 are activated by pressing corresponding button, 5-7 are activated by pressing 2 buttons simultaneously. On my setup I used 2 channels for locks and 2 for tailgate. It operates all 4 locks - you can't have independent lock action due to how power locks are wired on FSJ. I'm still thinking what can I use remaining channels for, but no good ideas yet

Usual causes for slow windows are dirty regulator mechanism and lack of current to the motor. It helps a lot to clean and lubricate moving parts of the regulator, clean all electric contacts and switches and add relays.
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy