440 Magnum Heavy Metal Drivetrain !!!

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
THERMOQUAD

440 Magnum Heavy Metal Drivetrain !!!

Post by THERMOQUAD »

I have successfully acquired , cleaned, rebuilt and am ready to assemble my Chrysler 440 Magnum all gear driven drive train for my 1977 Cherokee "S" WT.
Goes like this, 440 Magnum w/850 cfm 4bbl, bored .030 over w/ forged flat top TRW pistons, forged factory rods and crank, heads cleaned, machined, port matched and new stainless valves. Compression ratio about 9.5:1. Mopar performance Purple shaft magnum cam w/ torque range from idle to 4800 RPM. Hydro-formed Lakewood safety bell housing w/McLeod Racing 12" clutch and pressure plate engaging a Dodge NV4500 5 speed w/ cast Iron 4x4 tail housing bolted to a '78 Chevy NP203 range box (Doubler) bolted to '80 Chevy NP205 T-case w/ 32 spline input and output.
Double cardan joint w/ cutom built rear drive shaft transferring power to my fully rebuilt Eaton H072 w/ load bolt rear axle and the
Front axle is a King Pin Dana 60 / Eaton H072 Hybrid w/load bolt and NWF High Steer set up. Axle and doubler shifting will be done from a NWF Triple stick set up.
ALL steel and Iron and all gear driven :evil: :evil: :evil:

bigun

Re: 440 Magnum Heavy Metal Drivetrain !!!

Post by bigun »

Traded the 318 in my 84 W-250 for a 440. First time I got on the freeway I hammered it like I used to have to do with the 318 and almost ran over the Honda in front of me! :shock:

Bring on the build pictures :fsj:

Topic author
THERMOQUAD

Post by THERMOQUAD »

Gotta love a 440, they are torque monsters and with a 850 cfm Thermoquad carb they make an unworldly sound when you mash your foot on the gas.
I have to finish up some work on the Cherokee suspension before I start fabing up all the new mounts and cross members its going to take to solidly mount all this stuff that I named off, but I can post some pics of the work it took to get all those little goodies listed above to bolt together.
I will get pics posted in a day or two.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Sounds like a great setup. Steve Dulcich would be proud :P

May want to include a larger fuel tank too :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

bigun

Post by bigun »

While not a 440 the folks had a 67 Chrysler wagon with a 383 2 barrel in it last time I drove it in 1980 it had close to 300K on the odometer was using a quart of oil every 100 miles (found out later on motor mount had failed and oil pan had a hole in it patched it went back to one in every 500) and would run 60 miles an hour all day around 18 MPG for us mortals mom could pull 20 MPG out of it. As long as you aren't in the throttle all the time you might be surprised, I don't care for the carb he is using I have had better luck with Holleys, but Uncle Tony claims that once they are tuned correctly they make good mileage. But face it even stock FSJ suck at gas mileage

Topic author
THERMOQUAD

Post by THERMOQUAD »

Thermoquad's are one of the most misunderstood carbs out there and through the years there were different models with some better than others.
The best ones were produced between 1972 to 1975 and the late 70's Lean Burn models, in my opinion , go right in the scrap pile. They can be infinitely tuned, they have rather small primaries that get good fuel economy under normal driving conditions and huge secondaries for monster power when you want it. I don't expect a 440 Magnum to get good gas mileage and I am already working on installing an auxiliary fuel tank under the cargo bed to meet the hunger needs of my engine. This will give me 42 gallons of total fuel capacity if I need it and each tank will operate independently with its own fuel level gauge on the dash. I am installing a marine grade fuel line selection valve that can be operated from the drivers seat to select Tank 1, Tank 2 or shut the fuel system off completely.