Axle Upgrade - Guru input needed

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

Axle Upgrade - Guru input needed

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Heres the situation. I am ready to pour the cash into my axles for new gears (so I can actually take advantage of the overdrive trans) and lockers (for obvious reasons), but the only reason I still haven't done so, is because I am very lenient about pouring money into the M20/23 rear end, and it just not being strong enough. I am OK with spending extra money to make the Dana 44 front work if needed (Jantz Eng. Jana K4 kit, upgraded axles, etc) just to make it strong enough, but the rear 20 has me worried. I don't plan on really over zealous wheeling, but I do have enough power to twist that axle pretty easily in the right situation, and Id like to play at the dunes, which would mean possible air time from time to time... So it would require a lot of upgrade work, IMO.

So, do I just bit the bullet and spend the money on it, or do I look for another option? Well, I have been looking for other options and haven't found much. I don't need TONs at this point. I am on 33s now, and if my axles were stouter, I would go right to 35s, with the hope to one day go to 37s. I don't want to go full width, as I don't want to deal with the extra width, although I guess I could go a little wider. If I could find a set of J20 axles, I think I could make them work, but so far, no luck.

So other options I have found would be a custom 9 inch. Sorta something between the M20 and 1 Ton, but the cost doesn't really line up with the end result, especially since getting it to 6 lug is an issue.

So I came across the 6-lug Semi Float Dana 60 (which I didn't know existed) that apparently came in late 60s GMC 1/2 ton trucks with Big Blocks. Its the right width, and would work, but I guess is really rare to find (and I don't have any good junk yards near me, so the chance of finding one is low). First heard it was a thing watching Matts Offroad Recovery (gotta check out this Youtube channel BTW!):

https://youtu.be/W1LmP25f4aE

He is using this style of narrow SF Dana 60 to match a Wagoneer D44 front on his XJ recovery rig.

And then I found a guy on eBay selling a narrowed Dana 60 housing that I "think" I could make work into a pretty nice narrow Dana 60 setup, but Im not really familiar with the ends he has welded on the ends, so Im not sure what to look for to make a 6-lug setup that will work in my rig.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Narrow-Dana-60 ... %7Ciid%3A1

I figure the cost isn't far off of finding a local Dana 60 and getting it narrowed and having Ford 9-inch bearing ends welded on or something, to make it work. Any axle experts have any advice on this thing for me? Or any other options for a good middle of the road starting place for an axle to dump some money into, larger than a M20 and smaller than a 14 bolt?

Thanks!
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

Re: Axle Upgrade - Guru input needed

Post by RamJetFSJ »

So the eBay seller got back to me, and apparently I would need custom axles and end bells for that housing, so I guess that option is out.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The M23 center section is quite strong. The pinion is near D60 size, and the ring gear is just shy of 9". The tubes are the weak spot, but that can be addressed with some gussets.

What are you wanting to spend?

The 9" is like legos these days. You can get any width, any wheel pattern, etc for them. The downside is the pinion will hit everything. But the R&P will handle higher loads than a D60 will in most cases.

The real advantage from a D60 comes in when its full float.

This would be a good time to go to slightly wider axles for better stability. Not full width 1-ton, but like WT Cherokee width, assuming you won't have rubbing issues.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Yeah, I think my best bet is either J20 axles or WT Cherokee axles and then weld the tubes and truss the rear (M23). I just got to find them. I’m ready to trim fenders as needed.

I also have contemplated swapping in a Ford Dana 44 radius arm front and 9 inch rear combo.

I want something that I can one day three or four link without starting over from scratch.

I was hoping the SF Dana 60 would be a good easy swap, but looking like it’s maybe not worth it.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The J20 rear axle might be wider than you want. It has a 67" WMS, so 9.5" wider than your stock rear NT axle.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Kent968

Post by Kent968 »

Not sure where you are, but, I have 3 sets of wide track Cherokee axles in Oregon.
1977 Cherokee Chief Widetrack
350 SBC/Turbo 400/Quadratrac
1973 Wagoneer
360 Turbo 400/Dana 20

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I’m in Southern California.

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Stuka wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:04 pm The J20 rear axle might be wider than you want. It has a 67" WMS, so 9.5" wider than your stock rear NT axle.
Yeah, I guess that would be a bit wide.

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I need drivers drop WT axles also, and they only made those for what, 3 years? So they seem a bit harder to find.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

RamJetFSJ wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:28 am I need drivers drop WT axles also, and they only made those for what, 3 years? So they seem a bit harder to find.
Same as J pickups after ‘80. Rear was narrower than the front on WT Cherokees. For the rear, some are using Isuzu Trooper 6 lug D44 rears with disc brakes.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

Yeah, I decided the Isuzu Dana 44 wasn't enough of an upgrade (and possibly a downgrade, minus the discs) to be worth the work.