New Carburetor

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Typical10

New Carburetor

Post by Typical10 »

Good morning, I'm in the process of getting a replacement carburetor for the old Holly that sits on top of the edelbrock manifold. I've decided to replace it instead of a rebuild. I'm looking at the Holly's but have no idea which to buy. My 88 grand is a hunting vehicle that sees some often times rough use. Looking for opinions on which replacement would be the best option? Maybe a holly is not the best choice??Thanks jeff ~
88 Grand Wagoneer
360 Stock

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: New Carburetor

Post by rocklaurence »

The Holley Truck Avenger was the best Offroad carb Ive used. Ive also had good luck with the Motorcraft 2150.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Which Holley do you have now? Picture? Numbers?

The factory Motorcraft 2150 2v (2 venturi, aka 2 barrel) that your GW came with from the factory is an excellent off-road carburetor. It also works very well on the street, but it's not a "performance" carburetor.

If you go Holley, the Truck Avenger is the obvious choice. Some have reported issues with drivability on the street, but it's also reputed to be great on the trail. I would go with the 470 CFM for a stock engine. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... ts/0-90470

Avoid the street Holleys like the 4150 for anything but a street-only vehicle.

JMO - the price of a new Holley TA gets you half-way to the Sniper EFI. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... s/550-516K Fuel injection is superior to a carburetor off-road in every way.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

j10builder

Post by j10builder »

I've been staring at the Holley Demon carb for awhile. I might give it a go and see what happens.
'81' J10 w/all the good same year J20 stuff

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Ive been running the Street Demon carb on my J10 for 2 years now. I had to replace the metering valves [tuning process] to eliminate Bogging and a 1" spacer really waked it up. I havent taken it offroad--street use only.

j10builder

Post by j10builder »

Really? That's good to know. Was the tuning difficult? What kind of intake manifold are you running? Which manufacturer's spacer did you use? I've actually got the carb already, new in the box. My motor isn't going to be re-installed till the spring or summer at the rate I'm currently going.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

The metering rods are the same type as a Edelbrock. Basically, add the rods needed for 8-9 inches of vacuum [stock motor], Max the Squirter lever and I purchased a plastic 1" spacer from Summit. The Phenolic is probably better-I bought it to insulate the carb' from the heat but it made a big difference in performance. I pulled the plugs in Dec' and the ratio is Spot-On/ not rich or lean. Im running a Edelbrock Performer intake and NGK V-fire platinum plugs. Plugs look new after two years

j10builder

Post by j10builder »

That's great info, thanks! Just so I'm clear you only changed the metering rods, not springs or jets?

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Rods and springs--not jets