D 60 Disc Brake Conversion Bracket

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
threepiece

D 60 Disc Brake Conversion Bracket

Post by threepiece »

I thought I started a thread about this issue but I can’t find it so perhaps not.

I recently bought a pair of caliper mounting brackets for my J20 and I discovered they don’t fit my truck.

These are from Cutthroat Off-road and it appears they were design using a truck that has lift springs and wedge blocks on the rear axle. Here http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=136571 is a link to a build thread that describes the process.

The bracket is positioned such that the top caliper attaching screw cannot be installed because of interference when the stock leaf springs are used.

I thought this information would be helpful to someone making a decision about doing this conversion.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

j10builder

Re: D 60 Disc Brake Conversion Bracket

Post by j10builder »

Thanks! That's good info. I've been thinking about rear disc on my project.
'81' J10 w/all the good same year J20 stuff

mrtazwrench

Post by mrtazwrench »

I've been thinking about it, and I'm doing 2.5" blocks on the rear of my J20 so hopefully they would work. I've also ran into newer factory rear calipers, ford comes to mind, that have mounting bolt to spring interference.

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

I ended up drilling new holes in the new bracket. I welded the old holes shut and while at it I welded 1/4” spacer bosses to the inboard side. These spacers replace the aluminum spacer ring provided with the kit. Aluminum is not something I want in between steel in such a harsh environment as it would be prone to corrosion. I clocked The new holes about 10 degrees but a bit less would have been better.

Had I known of this issue I would have made the brackets and saved $100 without much more work.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Not the first time I have seen somebody run into this issue. The J-Truck springs are so close to the end of the axle tubes. My guess is they probably made them based off the axle installed in another vehicle, or maybe a J-Truck where they moved the springs under the frame for better tire clearance.

But good info to have!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Stuka wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:33 pm Not the first time I have seen somebody run into this issue. The J-Truck springs are so close to the end of the axle tubes. My guess is they probably made them based off the axle installed in another vehicle, or maybe a J-Truck where they moved the springs under the frame for better tire clearance.

But good info to have!
You can see the build thread where the bracket was designed here. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=136571 Post number 3 shows a picture of a wedge block under the spring. One can see that removing the block will rotate the axle a few degrees, enough to cause the interference.

My condition and solution can be seen here https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/sh ... 250&page=9 In posts 88 and 90.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

threepiece wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:32 am
Stuka wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:33 pm Not the first time I have seen somebody run into this issue. The J-Truck springs are so close to the end of the axle tubes. My guess is they probably made them based off the axle installed in another vehicle, or maybe a J-Truck where they moved the springs under the frame for better tire clearance.

But good info to have!
You can see the build thread where the bracket was designed here. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=136571 Post number 3 shows a picture of a wedge block under the spring. One can see that removing the block will rotate the axle a few degrees, enough to cause the interference.

My condition and solution can be seen here https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/sh ... 250&page=9 In posts 88 and 90.
Ahh ok. Bummer you had to do so much work on it. But at least you had the equipment to do it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ