T18 trans mounting questions

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
mjdriver

T18 trans mounting questions

Post by mjdriver »

So I converter from th400/QT to t18/d20, I seem to be missing some parts to mount the trans, from my research I seem to be missing the torque arm and maybe one other piece. I believe the mount itself from the auto should work with manual aswell. So do you guys think I really need the torque strut thing or can I just fab something up to adapt the mount , I was thinking a piece of square stock should work. I have poly mounts and doubt the engine would really torque over much at all.ImageImage

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: T18 trans mounting questions

Post by Stuka »

The T18a/D20 didn't have a torque arm on the trans mount. There is an L-shaped bracket on the transfer case with a secondary mount.

But a lot of guys do make one for the main trans mount. Basically a much wider mount.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Stuka wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:58 pm The T18a/D20 didn't have a torque arm on the trans mount. There is an L-shaped bracket on the transfer case with a secondary mount.

But a lot of guys do make one for the main trans mount. Basically a much wider mount.
Agreed, Ive never though that the OEM torque arm made much difference and could have been designed a lot better. Most likely, what ever you build will be better.

78 WIDETRAC

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

My Jeep is a factory 4spd that the P.O. upgraded to the t-18. I'll crawl under it and take and post a pic of the t-18 trans mount in a bit.
91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

Topic author
mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

78 WIDETRAC wrote:My Jeep is a factory 4spd that the P.O. upgraded to the t-18. I'll crawl under it and take and post a pic of the t-18 trans mount in a bit.
Ok thanks

Topic author
mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

rocklaurence wrote:
Stuka wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:58 pm The T18a/D20 didn't have a torque arm on the trans mount. There is an L-shaped bracket on the transfer case with a secondary mount.

Agreed, Ive never though that the OEM torque arm made much difference and could have been designed a lot better. Most likely, what ever you build will be better.
Found this on ebay, feel like I'm better off making something. It probably won't work anyways couse it's from an auto.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114408402613

78 WIDETRAC

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

My t-18 has an advanced adapter to go from the trans to the 208 t- case. so the mount is mounted to the bottom on that adapter, then looks like angle iron to the trans mount. I'm not sure how much this will help. Seems way different than what you are trying to do. Sorry she is soooo Greasy!!!!

91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

Topic author
mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

78 WIDETRAC wrote:My t-18 has an advanced adapter to go from the trans to the 208 t- case. so the mount is mounted to the bottom on that adapter, then looks like angle iron to the trans mount. I'm not sure how much this will help. Seems way different than what you are trying to do. Sorry she is soooo Greasy!!!!

Hmm not quite lol, but I appreciate it anyway. I'm thinking a piece of square tubing bolted to the trans, then bolt the mount to the bottom, holes should line up with one of two center pairs of holes in the cross member. Checked ace on the way home from work, they didn't have any square stock big enough. Only thing I'm worried about is the height of the trans vs factory with all the goofy brackets. Shouldn't matter too much.

78 WIDETRAC

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=154264

This is suppose to be a pic of a mounton my old 84 Grand wagoneer I put a t-18/ d20 years ago. It's a small thread on the other fsj forum.
91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

Topic author
mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

78 WIDETRAC wrote:http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=154264

This is suppose to be a pic of a mounton my old 84 Grand wagoneer I put a t-18/ d20 years ago. It's a small thread on the other fsj forum.
Hmm maybe tomorrow I'll get out there an put the cross member in place to see where everything lines up. I might do something similar if I can. From what I can tell mine seems like it would line up in the center of the cross member so I won't be able to go the angle iron route.

Topic author
mjdriver

Post by mjdriver »

So here's what I was able to come up with , using junk I had. Trans sits pretty high up, hopefully not too high, has about 1/4" clearance between the body and the bracket for the d20 remote shifter.ImageImageImageImageImage