4 speed automatic swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
NinetyV8

4 speed automatic swap

Post by NinetyV8 »

Hey there,

Did anybody try a Transmission swap from 3 Speed to 4 Speed automatic?
How is about the indicator and the column shifter? It has normally PNRD21, but with 4 Speed it would need OD as well.
Any Chance to modify it somehow, or is there some kind of " swap - Kit" available?

Kind Regards,
Thomas

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: 4 speed automatic swap

Post by Stuka »

As I recall, a few have tracked down the semi-rare GM column that came with 4L transmissions, and still had the shift indicator on the column. These have the column with the OD shifter position.

Basically, this: https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance ... EEEALw_wcB

Now I am not sure what (if any) mods need to be done to make it work in our Jeeps. We do have GM columns, so in theory it should work.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

The AW4 transmission is a good swap--So, Ive heard. Its most a direct replacement that doesnt need adapters

89_Wagon

Post by 89_Wagon »

I think the ididit website has various indicator types that can be swapped in for cheap... Like $30 or so. The detents you feel in the column are from the transmission, not the column. So no need to swap a different column going from a 3 to 4 speed.

I did the AW4 swap and have been enjoying it since the fall. Shifts smooth, geared well, and have seen a 1-2 mpg improvement. The column indicator is all off though and there's no easy solution to fix that. The shift linkage setup works but it's kinda mickey mouse. A GM 4 speed swap wouldn't have that issue since there are off the shelf solutions. Nothing like that for the AW4 swap.

That said, my engine has piston slap so I'm going LQ4 with a 4l80.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Anvil-3

Post by Anvil-3 »

89_Wagon wrote:The column indicator is all off though and there's no easy solution to fix that. The shift linkage setup works but it's kinda mickey mouse. A GM 4 speed swap wouldn't have that issue since there are off the shelf solutions. Nothing like that for the AW4 swap.
If you were to mark where the indicator actually goes per each position could an acrylic piece be cut and engraved to replace the current indicator? I’m thinking of doing the swap but also have access to the tools to make that piece. I’d be happy to make a prototype if everyone can benefit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Grand Wagoneer - under the knife

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Anvil-3 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:30 am
89_Wagon wrote:The column indicator is all off though and there's no easy solution to fix that. The shift linkage setup works but it's kinda mickey mouse. A GM 4 speed swap wouldn't have that issue since there are off the shelf solutions. Nothing like that for the AW4 swap.
If you were to mark where the indicator actually goes per each position could an acrylic piece be cut and engraved to replace the current indicator? I’m thinking of doing the swap but also have access to the tools to make that piece. I’d be happy to make a prototype if everyone can benefit

The indicator window needs to be wider to fit the additional gear. That or you end up with one of the gears being left off.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

89_Wagon

Post by 89_Wagon »

I think you could. There's enough room on the indicator to fit all the positions. You could adjust the sweep of the arrow by playing with the shifter linkages a bit especially at the transmission. Just to give you an idea, when I'm in D the indicator reads between N and R.

Anvil-3

Post by Anvil-3 »

89_Wagon wrote:I think you could. There's enough room on the indicator to fit all the positions. You could adjust the sweep of the arrow by playing with the shifter linkages a bit especially at the transmission. Just to give you an idea, when I'm in D the indicator reads between N and R.

Hmm, interesting... I pulled out one that I happened to have handy... it appears to have a molded shape that isn’t easily reproduced by me, however it seems possible to remove the existing lettering and replace with laser etching or vinyl or something. I’m gonna dig into this this year and if I figure it out I’ll post up a how to

89_Wagon

Post by 89_Wagon »

Here's an off the shelf option for replacing the acrylic for a 4 speed one. The GM ones should work for FSJ.

https://www.ididitinc.com/c-1310153-acc ... ators.html

Anvil-3

Post by Anvil-3 »

89_Wagon wrote:Here's an off the shelf option for replacing the acrylic for a 4 speed one. The GM ones should work for FSJ.

https://www.ididitinc.com/c-1310153-acc ... ators.html

And the market provides, looks awesome!