Billet Wagoneer Dash Bezel for Custom Dakota Analog Gauges

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Totalperfwaggy

Billet Wagoneer Dash Bezel for Custom Dakota Analog Gauges

Post by Totalperfwaggy »

Hey all!

I’m working on a new project with the guys over at Dakota Digital for my own 70 Waggy and need a bit of input or assistance on sourcing a piece. In our speed shop we use a bunch of Dakota Analog style gauges in our builds. They are high quality and best of all give the driver fantastic feedback on what is going on under the hood. All while being very stylish.

All that is offered now for the our models is a digital style dash. While it is good and works fantastic, it doesn’t hit the style que’s I’d like to hit. We are looking at producing via Dakota Digital VHX or RTX style analog units that would more closely resemble the stock units.

So the project is, I need to source someone who can make a prototype in billet of the original stainless dash surround and will machine it do accept a slightly larger lip for the face of the new cluster to screw into and support it.

I’ve spoken to a few local CNC guys and I’m not sure they actually get what I’m needed. So I figured I go to the folks that would most likely benefit from the new offering and see if anyone has special skills they would like to put on display.

Anyhow, if so chime in!

Thanks all!
1970 Wagoneer
Second owner
Buick 350, th400 and all the stock bits
For now..............

Topic author
Totalperfwaggy

Re: Billet Wagoneer Dash Bezel for Custom Dakota Analog Gauges

Post by Totalperfwaggy »

Here is the only offering that they have right now.

Again, great but not up some people’s alley. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 Wagoneer
Second owner
For now..............

Topic author
Totalperfwaggy

Post by Totalperfwaggy »

Here is a sneak peak of the proposed unit. Yes it is changing and flowing. In the end it is very customizable to anyone’s actual Jeep. First seen here!
You can see the custom bezel we need in the above picture.

1970 Wagoneer
Second owner
For now..............

Topic author
Totalperfwaggy

Post by Totalperfwaggy »

Here is a pic of my original unit that is coming out and you can see the bezel in this pic.

1970 Wagoneer
Second owner
For now..............

Mreuther12

Post by Mreuther12 »

I have the digital version sitting in my parts that need to be installed. Interested in seeing how this progresses.

1970 Wagoneer
- Buick 350 Dauntless V8, TA Performance Stage 1 Intake, Holley Sniper, Holley Hyperspark, Electric Fan, Aluminum Radiator
- 76 J10 D44 w/ OX Lockers Front & Rear

WT Conversion in progress...

Topic author
Totalperfwaggy

Post by Totalperfwaggy »

Mreuther12 wrote:I have the digital version sitting in my parts that need to be installed. Interested in seeing how this progresses.

It started with me wanting better and more reliable feedback. I was about five minutes from ordering that digital pod and then I decided to call their custom shop.

I’m excited as well. Missing link is just the bezel design in cad or something similar and then having it whittled out.

1970 Wagoneer
Second owner
For now..............

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

This doesn't really answer you're question but this is what I'm doing with mine with the early dash. I hope you're not thinking of mounting that at the level of the original bezel. It'll be too close to the surface of the dash to look good and at a bad angle.

Post #52 if the pages don't work out correctly:

http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.p ... 564&page=3
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Totalperfwaggy

Post by Totalperfwaggy »

SJTD wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:48 pm This doesn't really answer you're question but this is what I'm doing with mine with the early dash. I hope you're not thinking of mounting that at the level of the original bezel. It'll be too close to the surface of the dash to look good and at a bad angle.

Post #52 if the pages don't work out correctly:

http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.p ... 564&page=3
Honestly, yes, I was thinking of using the exact mounting location as the factory. To far back recessed in the dash and it will be shrouded under the recess (see pic) and to far towards the driver the overall sight picture will be unpleasant and constantly fighting with the steering wheel etc. so yes, I was thinking of using the factory drop in recess as a guideline. Not to say I don’t appreciate your point and your bezel. Though I think it will work out great.

Of course before I officially pull the trigger I will mock it up to ensure I’m not missing something.

Thank you for your input. Every little bit helps think through the final product development.
1970 Wagoneer
Second owner
For now..............

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Mine's at the same depth and angle as the original face, just wider.

I was saying I don't think mounting it at the level of the front chrome bezel would be wise.

I think we're saying the same thing.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

https://www.billetbadges.com/
Might try this place

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

example of Billet Badges work, somewhat expensive and because of Wuhan took some time but they work with some of the top names in the hot rod industry and are used to unusual projects.

Topic author
Totalperfwaggy

Post by Totalperfwaggy »

SJTD wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:53 am Mine's at the same depth and angle as the original face, just wider.

I was saying I don't think mounting it at the level of the front chrome bezel would be wise.

I think we're saying the same thing.
Agreed, I see what you were saying now, that would be a horrible angle as you said. I like the original location as well. Sometimes the factory gets it right in some of these aspects. Lol...
1970 Wagoneer
Second owner
For now..............

Topic author
Totalperfwaggy

Post by Totalperfwaggy »

sonoraed wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:18 am Image
example of Billet Badges work, somewhat expensive and because of Wuhan took some time but they work with some of the top names in the hot rod industry and are used to unusual projects.

Thank you! That’s a great idea!

We are currently working with them on two other builds. I totally can’t believe I didn’t even think of them. Great call!

I’ll call them in the am.
1970 Wagoneer
Second owner
For now..............

Wagoneer7

Post by Wagoneer7 »

I think this is a great idea. Dakota Digital makes great guages. I think it would be great to keep it as close to classic as possible and add to it - coolant temp, and volts. Keep the turn signals, add a rpm guage, put Digital readout like other Dakota Digital guages, mileage, trip, outside temp, North, East South West. Keep like the original but enhance so someone has to do a double take.

Hope it happens as I will buy one for sure!
20220314_191855.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I’ve had the same idea for the later models as well. I have a 78 Cherokee I’d like a full aluminum cluster made to replace the brittle plastic ones. It would use the stock climate control and aftermarket gauges.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I’d be game for an early cluster too. I’m currently looking at making my own with speedhut pieces but would be all over the Dakota cluster, especially if it had an overlay that was original cluster inspired. I love that there is some Art Deco design in the original cluster, gives it a touch of class. With my design I’ve been tinkering with I know I will loose that. I refuse to install a set of gages under the dash for temp, fuel, oil and volts.

In my opinion, the tack and oil can be deleted, unless it’s a race car the tach is useless and an oil pressure light is fine, it either has it or it doesn’t
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
Totalperfwaggy

Post by Totalperfwaggy »

Wagoneer7 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:41 pm I think this is a great idea. Dakota Digital makes great guages. I think it would be great to keep it as close to classic as possible and add to it - coolant temp, and volts. Keep the turn signals, add a rpm guage, put Digital readout like other Dakota Digital guages, mileage, trip, outside temp, North, East South West. Keep like the original but enhance so someone has to do a double take.

Hope it happens as I will buy one for sure!20220314_191855.jpg
Hey guys!

All I’m waiting on is the bezel to be cut, then Dakota will fit it. We are in full blown “Go” mode on this thing. It seems like so many things are taking three to four times as long to get done….

Thanks guys!
1970 Wagoneer
Second owner
For now..............

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Totalperfwaggy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:23 am
Wagoneer7 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:41 pm I think this is a great idea. Dakota Digital makes great guages. I think it would be great to keep it as close to classic as possible and add to it - coolant temp, and volts. Keep the turn signals, add a rpm guage, put Digital readout like other Dakota Digital guages, mileage, trip, outside temp, North, East South West. Keep like the original but enhance so someone has to do a double take. I'd be content just having the Digital readout with a face plate that's somewhat like the original just modified.

Hey guys!

All I’m waiting on is the bezel to be cut, then Dakota will fit it. We are in full blown “Go” mode on this thing. It seems like so many things are taking three to four times as long to get done….

Thanks guys!
I've been wanting to make something like that since I bought the digital gauges a few years back. It's just so bland looking as just a black screen. Was thinking about getting something milled to go over it that somewhat replicates the original and doesn't look out of place.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Glad the Impaler

Post by Glad the Impaler »

Wagoneer7 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:41 pm I think this is a great idea. Dakota Digital makes great guages. I think it would be great to keep it as close to classic as possible and add to it - coolant temp, and volts. Keep the turn signals, add a rpm guage, put Digital readout like other Dakota Digital guages, mileage, trip, outside temp, North, East South West. Keep like the original but enhance so someone has to do a double take.

I have this same bezel in my 1969. I would happily pay Dakota Digital prices to keep the aesthetic! Love this idea.

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Ok you people got my wheels turning so I did a few things tonight. FYI I have the typical numeric readout style. First I took my dakota cluster apart, don't waste your time, you will only learn the gauges are on a soldered circuit board and not able to be moved. Second I made some sketches of Dakotas location VS the factory locations (don't remember how to post a pic on here). Then I contacted Dakota directly and spoke to a builder. Sent over some pics and sketches and was told to have a cluster built that could utilize the factory faceplate it would cost about 1300 bucks. If anyone gets something produced that can overlay and look proper please let me know, til then, for that price, I can live with a black screen lol
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.